suggestions for 12"-14" pusher e-fan, preferably OEM for some vehicle

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Windstar e-fans behind tall-narrow radiator proved unable to keep up with maxed-out loads up steep grades for miles and miles in triple-digit temperatures. Mechanical fan with some fancy German clutch seems to (barely) do the trick, extra insurance would be nice. The mech fan is offset to the right side of the radiator, a pusher fan on the left side seems like a good idea. Aftermarket fans are readily available and generally questionable, would prefer some OEM assembly. Any suggestions?

P.S. folks with the short-wide radiator are lucky, they can fit two massive Taurus or even Mk8 fans, bet them monsters won't have much of a hard time cooling things down nicely...

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I tried two 14" puller fans with a shroud and it didn't cool enough with heavy loads. I have seen electric fans that pull around 3,000 but there very expensive. if they do the job I guess there worth the money.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big ones most certainly do the job, we know of one crew dually with twin Marks IIRC that can without a single care in the world run heavy loaded up the same grades that murder our IDI empty. Thing is tho, gotta have the right rad for them to fit properly, and the tall narrow one our IDI has ain't it. Hence the current plan for a mech fan with pusher e-fan backup...

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pusher fans aren't as efficient as pullers, you might be better off using pullers. Pushers tend to 'diffuse' the air over the surface of the heat-exchanger rather than move it through the exchanger.

EDIT: After reading your second relpy, that might work, as the pusher supplies air, the puller draws in through rather than having the pusher squash the air over the face of the radiator. :dunno

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's the plan, having the pusher feed air into an area of the radiator that the puller doesn't draw from very much, thus more or less equalizing the flow across the whole rad. Just gotta find something nice for that purpose...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do a lot of heavy pulling, locking the stock fan will probably work. It keeps mine cool, N/A 3rd gear with it to the floor for long hill climbs. You may lose some efficiency but it may be worth it depending on how the truck is used. Your stock type fan clutch is probably waiting too long before it kicks in like all the other ones people complain about.

I don't hear mine locked fan till I hit 2000rpm, and when I am cruising empty I am down around 1500 rpm. So it's not like it's roaring under the hood all the time.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, your truck should not be overheating with a good WP, OEM fan clutch and clean radiator/system.
What kind of radiator are you running in your truck?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on most of the aftermarket fans you can run them as a pusher or puller. a side note, the 1999 jeep grand Cherokee 4.7 v8 has a puller e-fan in the middle of the rad and clutch fan. I think its there to help the a/c but it might be an extra part of the tow package.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I cqn get enough of correct foqm I will buikd an electric fan shroud base from glass to which anyone could add their own fan of choice..

No need for pusher if done correctly

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck doesn't actually overheat with the mech fan, gets up to 220 on long hard pulls and stays there. Which is just fine, actually I kinda wish she would run around 210 all the time, better fuel economy then. Maybe we'll come up with some sort of slats mechanism like older big trucks had to aid in winter driving... It was with the E-fans that she was hitting 230 and up, that's why they got replaced. The current want for a pusher e-fan is just as a precaution or plan B, definitely not a need. Old mech fan was locked to the pump, that was iirc a consistent 1MPG drop over clutched, which doesn't sound like much but when you're at the low teens all the time every little bit counts. In any case we'd rather not lock this one as for one thing it's actually behaving well, and also when locked they tend to overcool the engine and our particular IDI isn't very happy at below 200F. The add-on pusher should be a good enough setup where it will add to the clutched fan to match the performance of a locked fan, but being on-demand it should avoid the negative effects.

Interesting about the ****** fans, any particular model years?

Oh and the extra puller e-fan on the Cherokees was also present on the I6 trucks, not just the V8s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online