Stupid Question of the Month - Drag Racing

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how bracket racing works and how drag racing works in general. How do you determine who you go up against, or are you going up against yourself and what you think you can do? Do you begin with time trials to see what you can run then the facility places you appropriately? Just looking fro a summary of what would happen if I show up at a track to race since I don't have the slightest clue at this point.

Brian [><]

DavidTD

Reaction score
rebel_horseman said:
Can someone explain to me how bracket racing works and how drag racing works in general. How do you determine who you go up against, or are you going up against yourself and what you think you can do? Do you begin with time trials to see what you can run then the facility places you appropriately? Just looking fro a summary of what would happen if I show up at a track to race since I don't have the slightest clue at this point.

Brian [><]

You race in the class you are best suited for. Bracket racing provides a handicap to even out the racers. Racers use test and tune time, qualifying rounds etc to see what they are running. Before eliminations, the driver selects a "dial-in" to post on the window based on those test runs. This is your handicap.

The person that can run closest to his dial and have the best reaction time off the tree without a foul or "redlight" wins.

So example, I ran 13.80, 13.83, 13.82. For this example, I dial a 13.81. My opponent dials a 14.81. He will get a 1 second head start (or two lights). If we both run our dial in exactly, the racer that has the best reaction time will win. Example, my reaction time is .150 and opponent is .100. I would have lost by .050 seconds. If you run faster than your dial-in, you breakout and lose, unless your opponent breaks out by more time or redlights.

To stage properly, turn on the top yellow light(small one of two) which is refered to as the pre-stage light. Then after your opponent is pre-staged, roll forward to turn on the 2nd light (staged) and after your opponent does the same, then the starter will start the tree.

That should get you started.

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DavidTD said:
You race in the class you are best suited for. Bracket racing provides a handicap to even out the racers. Racers use test and tune time, qualifying rounds etc to see what they are running. Before eliminations, the driver selects a "dial-in" to post on the window based on those test runs. This is your handicap.

The person that can run closest to his dial and have the best reaction time off the tree without a foul or "redlight" wins.

So example, I ran 13.80, 13.83, 13.82. For this example, I dial a 13.81. My opponent dials a 14.81. He will get a 1 second head start (or two lights). If we both run our dial in exactly, the racer that has the best reaction time will win. Example, my reaction time is .150 and opponent is .100. I would have lost by .050 seconds. If you run faster than your dial-in, you breakout and lose, unless your opponent breaks out by more time or redlights.

To stage properly, turn on the top yellow light(small one of two) which is refered to as the pre-stage light. Then after your opponent is pre-staged, roll forward to turn on the 2nd light (staged) and after your opponent does the same, then the starter will start the tree.

That should get you started.

Look who the cat drug into OB's. ;Really

Welcome David and see you Friday.

jponder

Reaction score
Hey guys, i havent been here in awhile and look what i find. Rebel Horse, David, tmb, and Timbeaux all in the same post

Rebelhorse used to be a cummins man dont ya know :)

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jponder said:
Hey guys, i haven't been here in awhile and look what i find. Rebel Horse, David, tmb, and Timbeaux all in the same post

Rebelhorse used to be a cummins man dont ya know :)

Welcome aboard. It can fun here. :Sly LOL

DavidTD

Reaction score
TooMuchBoost said:
Look who the cat drug into OB's. ;Really

Welcome David and see you Friday.

I was chasing a Passat and finally caught it. ;Sweet

And why was it I don't remember seeing you until Saturday at the track. You hiding from me? :Sly And with the time I spent with John and Phil at the shop you were where? Obviously not where the fun was... :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08