Stupid question.....kinda related to our trucks

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
How does the DOT figure up your GVW?Is that actual weight on the ground or is that the max rated GVW of the Truck and Trailer even if they are well below that or is there a special way they rate it since the truck can't haul much if it has a gooseneck hooked to it.......I am trying to figure out if I will need a CDL to drive white lightning with a 25,999GVW goose hooked to it with the big E getting taxied.......or Martyr machine which ever rally I am headed for!

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is Combined GVW or CGVW. GVW is based on the door sticker. Interactive test for TX Basically, if you go past 26k, the answer is yes.

Also, if your running a large goose neck, then you need to check your state laws. Some states require the tow vehicle to be registered for the CGVW of the truck and any (non rv) trailer.

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The best thing is contact a state highway patrol post and ask as they will be the ones stopping you to ticket ya but I know if your bringing that thing up thru ohio for the rally take the GVWR and add that to the GVWR of the trailer over 26000 you need a cdl and a temporary IFTA sticker I never tow outta state so I run an OHIO fuel sticker

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I finally made it here. Now to answer your question if the combined truck, trailer and cargo do not exceed 26000 pounds you are fine. Take it to your local truck stop and wheigh it.
:D

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Thanks,I have heard a little bit of everything.Since you just got out of school I think I will trust you.Even though I still am gonna double check with the troopers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online