Stroking an IDI

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I know it won't be as easy as a 347 stroker, where it's just a crank swap and done, but is it feasible to stroke an IDI, and how much is a SAFE limit?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I knew someone made a 7.7 kit, because I've seen at least 10 people running 7.7's, and dont believe they all offset ground the same by chance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. Barnet is the place for the only stroker kits for our idi engines. Or at least they are the only shop I know that does them. Kinda spendy though..

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder how stout the bottom end is, I'm not thinking about a big displacement, really just considering sleeving down to 6.9 then stroking back up to 7.3... Maybe a compression drop to 19-20:1

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I had a quote of around $2800 to stroke a 6.9 assembly. Custom Diamond pistons, Oliver rods .001" offset ground crank and entire rotating assembly balanced.
Talk to Tim, they don't advertise it anymore but still do it. They used to do the stroker kits for the truck pullers. :D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I didn't notice it until after reading this thread, but Tom (88beast) has the stroked 7.7
May be able to get him to answer some questions.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ This. This topic has been posted a few times in the past iirc. I think the only reason he knows that it is even stroked is from some paperwork or something like that.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
^^^ This. This topic has been posted a few times in the past iirc. I think the only reason he knows that it is even stroked is from some paperwork or something like that.

I believe you are correct. I think it would be a better 7.3 with more stroke than the 6.9 instead of the other way around.