Strange leak on new truck

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Hey guys...

I bought a new truck 2002 F250 CC SB Powerstroke 7.3... I recently added a HX line and now I have a leak coming from under the fuel filter area....

I added a wicked wheel last night and found the valley full of oil.... so I cleaned it all out .... no oil anywhere ... I proceeded with the WW install... took the truck out for a test run and check it when I get back. Just a hint of oil in the first depression under the fuel filter. This morning when I get to work I check it again and that depression is almost full...

I never had a single leak before the HX line... only 44k miles on the truck... and I am 100% certain the oil is not coming from the line itself or the fittings.... it is definately coming from the front somewhere....

Any ideas of what could be leaking... I just need a place to start. So far I can't see it dripping or running.. ????

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several areas around the fuel filter housing
  • HPOP gasket
  • HPOP resevoir seal
  • EOT sensor o-ring
  • IPR valve o-ring
  • HPOP line fittings
  • HPOP plug
prolly a few more I can't remember. Best at this point now that its fairly clean would be to put som Ultraviolet leak detection dye in the oil and check for the leak with a black light. You can usually get the dye at NAPA.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
hpop fittings, there is an o ring there, ford has the kit, arouind 30.
at idle the leak is hard to see, leaks worse under load.
Nick

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys....

Good to know... It was late last night when I finished the WW so I didn't spend a lot of time trying to find it.... that and I wasn't certain it was really leaking again last night..... the amount of oil I saw was very minimal, just enough to make it look wet... not puddling.

I wonder why it started leaking after the HX line was installed?... does is cause a stress on the the HPOP and lines?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holyshittttttt DM............. longgggggggggggggggggggg time no see. Getting ready for racing season?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score

Yep I'm back!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah we've been fighting a transmission/torque converter problem for the last 3-4 races. We finally got it going right and then had an issue with almost everything on the truck.... I re-wired the entire ignition system... replumbed the entire fuel system..... We replaced two engines.....

We thought we had it all working and at the race last weekend and then the steering box went out. It's always something. But we're real excited because the tranny combo is working real nice... It's a custom kind of thing... 5 speed manual with a torque converter instead of a clutch... We kept melting clutches ..... actually melting the aluminum spacers... The on again off again along with the freespin from jumping and gliding over whoops would just eat things up... This TC we have now seems to work real well.

I have been just crazy busy with work and racing... no time to do much else. We are also going to be racing CORR on the west coast and WSORR back east. It is a short course series, but it gets alot more TV time and that's what the sponsors like seeing. We have a new truck just for the short course stuff. I will have to get some pictures of it when we get it back together.

BTW, I will be heading up your way here next week.... my boy decided my rules were to tough and went to live with my mom in Riverton... he just turned 18 and got his GED through CWC. They hold a graduation ceremony for them so we are making a quick trip to see him.

I see your the new Warden nowdays....... :backoff I will try and be good. :rotflmao

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I just had to tell you guys thanks!! :thumbsup:

When I got home last night and began looking around I found the culprit was a loose fitting on the side of what I would consider part of the the fuel filter.... but maybe it's a part of the HPOP..

It was real loose... I could move it with my fingers to snug it up. No more leaks now!

I don't know if it was all the beer :D I had while doing the wicked wheel or just the late hours and me wanting to be done, but once I took a good look I found it right away.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see you aroound again DM, tell your boy good luck up here in Wyoming. Age 18, if he has any getup and go he will be able to land good work in the fields.

Good luck this season also, keep us updated if you can, always loved your racing pics.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Thanks 95,

He doesn't want to join the patch... My brother is a directional driller with lots of pull and my cousins are toolpushers and consultants and offered to get him a job...

He has it in his mind Join the Army... So he enlisted the other day... I have'nt gotten to many details yet... just he will be doing the delayed entry because he is taking a college class over the summer... I know he goes to basic in August... I think around the 2nd or 3rd.

Boy he didn't like my rules.... wait till he meets his drill sargent!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7