Strange happenings

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Last night, jumped in The Crossbreed, and headed for the gun shop. Got a couple miles out of town, and noticed the headlights were dim. Beat feet back to the house, and grabbed the XJ.

This morning, it started right up, even though I forgot to plug it in. The voltmeter seemed to be a little sluggish, also. Got to work, took care of some things, and headed out, with the DVOM.

Started right up, again. Voltmeter dead as a hammer. 14.55 volts at the battery. Funny, now the voltmeter is reading just shy of 13, which is about normal. Still 14.55vdc@battery.

Pusher fans weren't running, after work, just the small puller. Checked the fuseholder, and found a very crispy piece of 14 gauge wire. Cleaned the fuseholder, and installed a new fuse. Fans working again.

I'm guessing that I've got a intermittent body ground issue, but haven't had time to dig deeper. Any suggestions?

BTW, picked up a case of Estate 12 gauge #8's, for $3.50 a box. Anybody up for some bluerock?

rubberfish

Reaction score
PackRat said:
I'm guessing that I've got a intermittent body ground issue, but haven't had time to dig deeper. Any suggestions?
I had a very similiar problem with mine.
Dash gauge all over the place, h/lights flickering,
but never a dead batt. And it turned out to be, in my case,
a missing ground. The one from batt neg to body ground. I'm
going to presume that you have one, just it's dirty or loose.
Then check one from motor to the frame, and frame to body.
Mine is from frame to lower firewall area if that matters, or helps.
Let us know how you make out eh?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
Please define "Crossbreed."

Be it Ford or Chevy or Other with 1st Gen. Cummins??

It be a Gen 1 chassis, with a much more handsome body attached. That should rule out Ferd, completely.

It's an 82 Silverado cab, with an 85 front clip.

I must have deleted the pic, from my garage. I'll get it posted again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7