straight pipe?

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
i have a flow pro muffler on my 1992 350 idi with 4 inch exhaust..... i just installed a hypermax turbo kit... i was wondering if removin the muffler and straight piping it would make any difference, will i be able to hear the turbo better and get better sound? thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes, and yes. Go to youtube and search 6.9 IDI ATS, and there will be some vids of my truck on there.

sootman73

Reaction score
it depends on what sound you want to hear. im not sure what kinda of muffler that is. is it a straight through type? can you stick your arm through it to the other end? i wanna put one on my truck to see what it sounds like because my friends 6.5l has the muffler on it and the turbo is really loud all the time but it doesn't have that drone to it. i would just try it to see what the differences are and what you like best. let me know if the turbo sounds different as i really wanna know before i buy one of those.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
it depends on what sound you want to hear. im not sure what kinda of muffler that is. is it a straight through type? can you stick your arm through it to the other end? i wanna put one on my truck to see what it sounds like because my friends 6.5l has the muffler on it and the turbo is really loud all the time but it doesn't have that drone to it. i would just try it to see what the differences are and what you like best. let me know if the turbo sounds different as i really wanna know before i buy one of those.

i cant hear my new turbo with the muffler on there... unless i really step into it. the muffler is not straight through...hopefully it will make a diference

sootman73

Reaction score
darn i was hopin you had a straight through. i think the straight through cancels out the engine noise and lets the turbo come through real nice. idk i'll have to try it.

Big Boss Hoss

Reaction score
Straight pipe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the stock down pipe connected to a 4.5" stack probally about 4 feet of it and it sounds sweet. At idle you can hear the turbo alot when you step on it it's tech ***. Mufflers and what not are over rated imo.

fanbrain

Reaction score
I've got some videos too. Search for "fanbrain" on youtube.

My truck has 3" straightpiped exhaust and an ATS turbo. I can take some more videos if you want. The video I made of the truck revving was with a cold motor. It sounds better and smokes more when warm.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Mine is has no muffler either. In the vid in my sig I have 3" DP to 4" straight pipe to dual 5" sidepipes. Check it out,..

Since the video I changed the exhaust so I now get about 50/50 smoke out of each side. It is now much more balanced.

streaker

Reaction score
i just got it straight piped and it sounds awesome!!!!!! i wouldnt go back to a muffler set up!!!

I told you it'd sound better. I drove everywhere with my window down in the middle of winter when I first had mine done:D Might as well max out your IP now. So now you want to race them again?:backoff

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I told you it'd sound better. I drove everywhere with my window down in the middle of winter when I first had mine done:D Might as well max out your IP now. So now you want to race them again?:backoff

I have been driving around with my rear sliding glass window since October, you cant beat the sound of a staight piped turbo IDI ;Sweet

Bobbo's F-350

Gotta have stacks
Reaction score
Hell Yeah!! straight piped is better. Thats the only way to go. I have on my 1993 F-350 3inch pipe from the turbo going into a nice big set of 5inch slash cuts stacks. who needs a radio when you got stacks!!!!!