Straight Pipe

JRJ04

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive got a question about straight piping. I already have a 4 inch exhaust from turbo to tip on my '02 with a flow through muffler. Its an off brand exhaust and I have never been crazy about the way it sounds but I've lived with it. If I were to straight pipe it, how much more power would I get out of it and how much of a difference in sound would it make?

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea noise is not a concern, but im assuming then that the muffler is not creating that must restriction?

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
less restriction....true...but its going to be so minute because you prolly wont even notice a difference...for noise....prolly a little louder....i cant say from experience cause i havent had a muffler or cat on my truck since I got the thing....id say go for it...why now...it wont hurt it...

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
The biggest drawback about not running a muffler on a CC is the drown that comes from the long straight section of 4" pipe. If you drive a lot at a steady RPM it can get a little annoying(Dads 97 is straight piped). It's one of those things you have to do it yourself to see if you like it or not. everyone is different

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
i have 3.5" straight pipe on my 95, and it doesnt seem that loud to me. more like a strong gasser than a diesel. more flow is better, but the flow through **** is pretty clear i think. i just like bein able to tell people i have straight pipes on my truck:D i see your from sugarland, i live between pearland and houston. we should get together and compare some notes one day!:cheers:

JRJ04

Reaction score
could it potentially be that loud with the straight pipe even though i have the tailpipe ending at the back? The only thing that would concern me is the droning because I do a lot of highway driving.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3.5" straight pipe, just cut off the muffler and had pipe welded in at a muffler shop, on my superduty and I don't have a problem with drone on the highway. Exhaust exits in the stock location.

I can barely hear it at all unless the windows are down.

One thing to remember is that the SD cab is a lot quieter than the OBS trucks.

If you do straight pipe it, keep the muffler. If you don't like it put the muffler back on. It's really impossible to know what it will sound like by reading text over the internet, it's going to be a matter of what you like to hear.

DieselRecon

Reaction score
Muffler is not a restriction till you get it as wound up as far as it will go. Any other speed and it poses very little difference. Straight thru Magnaflow muffler will make it sound sweet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance