steps to replace 1-piece fuel filter?

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doing my first fuel filter replacement and had a question to reduce getting air in the fuel.

I have a 1-piece filter that includes the water sensor.

According to the alldata manual, when replacing 2-piece filters, you should not pre-fill the filter with diesel fuel and simply let the fuel pump fill the filter. According to a truck driver, on the big rigs, you should pre-fill the filter with diesel fuel so it doesn't suck in a bunch of air.

What is the procedure for a 1-piece filter with sensor install on one of our trucks?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
The theory is that all fuel is dirty until filtered. I like the idea of filling the filter with diesel, but if you fill it by the middle hole you are giving your ip a dose of "dirty diesel". Its your choice of cranking a bit to get the air out or not.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always fill the filter when I put a new one on.
x3, always pre-fill the filter.

The theory is that all fuel is dirty until filtered. I like the idea of filling the filter with diesel, but if you fill it by the middle hole you are giving your ip a dose of "dirty diesel". Its your choice of cranking a bit to get the air out or not.
That's correct, however it only takes a few more minutes to fill the filter through the side holes, thus giving the engine the nice clean diesel it wants.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit of an idiot! right on the side of the filter is has pictures to show the steps for replacement which includes prefilling the filter with fuel.

Now, I've also heard of prefilling the filter with alternatives to diesel. Like ATF or oil? this would definitely bypass the "dirty diesel" factor but I wonder what adverse affects these IDIs would have to a straight dose of oil instead of diesel fuel.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit of an idiot! right on the side of the filter is has pictures to show the steps for replacement which includes prefilling the filter with fuel.

Now, I've also heard of prefilling the filter with alternatives to diesel. Like ATF or oil? this would definitely bypass the "dirty diesel" factor but I wonder what adverse affects these IDIs would have to a straight dose of oil instead of diesel fuel.

Pre-filling with the same oil you use in the engine will not hurt a thing.

Pre-filling with the diesel-fuel conditioner of your choice is fine also, such as Power Service, etc.

TC-W3 two-cycle engine oil would be fine.

Plain old diesel-fuel from a pristine container is fine to use also.

It is good practice to keep a few clean gallon-size oil jugs filled with clean diesel around for just such purposes.

I fill any empty jugs I may have at the same time as I am filling the truck, and I always have several gallons of clean fuel around.

The top of the filter is one big center hole, surrounded by several smaller holes.

"Dirty" fuel enters via the smaller holes and filtered fuel exits via the large center hole.

If you are careful to pre-fill by pouring into the smaller holes, any possible contaminants will be trapped in the filter. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I always prefill all filters but.... I slowly and carefully pour the fuel or oil into the outside small holes so the fuel or oil gets a pass thru the filter media...:sly Any cleaner or atf will help the injectors and pump.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Or if you have an electric fuel pump like me then you can change the fuel filter not fill it up turn your electric pump on wait a few seconds crank the engine and it fires like you just shut it off:thumbsup: