Steering Column Shift Lever Stuck & Ignition Lock Cylinder Questions

FlySAR

Reaction score
Steering Column Shift Lever Stuck/Ignition Lock Cylinder - More Information (Edit)

Can't figure it out?

Had some problems with my lock cylinder (wouldn't engage the ignition switch) replaced the ignition switch first & then the lock cylinder & neither fixed my problem. Read all the posts & determined it must be the pot metal piece. Since I didn't have time to tear it down I just started my truck by pressing on the actuator rod with a pair of pliers - great anti-theft device, though I'm not sure who would want to steal my truck?

Any way, after replacing the lock cylinder, I was having trouble moving the column shift lever, it was catching, but I would eventually get it in gear.

Well, I went to move the truck for family parking on Thanksgiving & it would only move from Park to Reverse; it was bound up solid.

On Saturday I started pulling the column apart, chiltons & great references on this site & discovered the pot metal piece that actuates the ignition rod is in tact, so I don't know what the problem is there & short of pulling the column out, I can't find what's binding the shift lever.

What do you experts have to say?

Del

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Convert it to a Manual Transmission and be happy ya dumped the slush box

Seriously I have no real helpful reply....I will see what I can come up with at work...there are tons of columns I can pick through....What year truck BTW? that makes a difference for me.

FlySAR

Reaction score
More Info

I found my own problem but still need some help.

After further review the Pot Metal piece was broken. On my 87' tilt wheel there is a long piece that moves along the shaft that rides in a guide - that piece was broken off.

As I was removing it from the column I was also able to move my shift lever & at times it would get hung up - so that may be that problem?

The million dallar question is:

How do you pull that long piece all the way out? It appears to be hanging up on something.

I can provide pics if that would help.

FlySAR

Reaction score
All Done - Well Except for the Part

Found all the info as explained by post above. Got the tilt mechanism apart & it exposed what I needed to get to - Thanks for the great site/replies.

Just need to get the part & put it all back together.

What is the best lubrication/grease to use when I put the ignition parts & steering column back together.

Thanks again,

Del

FlySAR

Reaction score
Part Number

Rolled into the Ford parts dept this morning & the guy went right to the bin & pulled the part; didn't even have to give him year/make/model - I guess he's pulled this part before. :D

Not sure if anyone has posted the part number but thought it might be helpful.

E9TZ-3E715-B ACTUATOR

Thanks Again,

Del

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
del-
if you can can post the name on the parts tag, I'd appreciate it.
I'll enter the number in the "parts bin" with the info.
often the name for the part on the label has no relation to the actual part itself but the mouth breather at the parts counter can't get past that stumbling block.
Looks like you found a guy who's been around for a while;Sweet
pray that he doesn't retire or gets laid off anytime soon.