Stalling/loss of power when warm.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bare with me here........I'm asking for a guy my dad works with, so infomation is a bit sketchy.

'94 that will start and run "normally" when cold (1st start after sitting for a while). But, it will stall and loose power once it warms up and die. Then it won't start. If parked and allowed to sit, it will start and run fine, but stall/die once it warms up again.:dunno

Reportedly, he has spent $5000 dollars at a Dodge dealer with no change in the problem.cookoo

Any ideas I can pass on to Dad to pass on to this guy?

Heath

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 install a fuel pressure gauge between lift pump and IP. If you have an intermittant fuel pressure issue check the fuel supply lines for air leaks.

#2 if it's auto unplug the connector on the tranny that locks the TC and shifts OD. See if it still does it. If not, it's in the tranny or a short in the wirng/ECU.

#3 if it goes fine down the road when warm, but dies when allowed to idle you likely have a worn out governor in the IP. Also, check the really stupid stuff like zip tie the fuel shutoff lever open.

These engines are stupid simple. You can have a brand new engine top to bottom installed for $5000. I cannot fathom taking a truck like that to the dealer for $120/hr work.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll pass that on. I also don't understand how in the world he could pay that much money and take the truck back with the same problem?cookoo

Heath

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few friends that are techs at the local dealership. I call them when I need to figure out a commonrail issue and they call me for anything 2002 and older. If you can't plug a computer into it they're lost.

red wagon

Reaction score
pull the delivery valves out and clean them. could be the heat geting to the injecting pump silonoid they are about 75 dollars