Spare Parts List to Have in the Truck - Son is Headed to Alaska in 97 PSD

FlySAR

Reaction score
My son is leaving for Anchorage this week via the Ferry to Haines & then the ALCAN to Anchorage.

I'm new to the 7.3 PSD & so is he so we thought we'd throw this question to the experts.

Without breaking the bank, what parts or other misc would you carry in the truck that pertains to the PSD?

We thought of: Spare CPS, Serpentine Belt, Glow Plugs, Antifreeze, 5 Gal Diesel.

Thanks,

Del & Brett

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to what you already posted, here's my addition...
-upper and lower radiator hoses(if a serpentine belt feels really nasty, they'll slice a hose in two.)
-belt tensioner assy and idler pulley
-extra serpentine belt
-fuel filters ( I like packing a few extras, you never know if you pick up a load of bad fuel.)
....optional stuff....
-alternator(pre-tested)
-starter(pre-tested)
-fan clutch

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare fuses and bulbs.

This time of year, Definatly fuel filters and some anti gel like Howes or Powerservice. Make sure the spare 5 gallons of fuel is Arctic grade, #1 diesel or Kerosene and treat the fuel in the truck too.

Also consider changing oil to a diesel rated 0w-30 full synthetic. Engines start much better on synthetics in the cold.

Have a safe trip

FlySAR

Reaction score
Also consider changing oil to a diesel rated 0w-30 full synthetic. Engines start much better on synthetics in the cold

Synthtics are OK for a Diesel - I know gassers like it, never read much regarding diesels; I'll do some reading - Thanks

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthtics are OK for a Diesel - I know gassers like it, never read much regarding diesels; I'll do some reading - Thanks

Diesels like it. It's just a little pricy. Many independent truckers and companies have been running it for years.

I get my changes done at Walmart, I pick up 4 gallons off the shelf ($17 per gallon), grab a higher dollar synthetic media Fram filter ($13)and walk up to the service counter and tell them to change it with my own oil and filter($17 for labor only) $98 - $100 usually out the door which ain't too bad when Ford charges $75 to put regular Rotella dino in it around here. Considering the extended drain intervals with synthetic it's cheaper in the long run.

Consider this too.... Why do you think they tell you to switch to synthetic only after an engine is broken in and the rings are seated... It's because synthetic lubricates too well.

Not all synthetics are rated for diesels so watch what you get. I run Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in mine and love it, I run the Rotella synthetic because it's the easiest to find, Walmart and Tractor supply usually carry it in stock. I run 15,000 mile change intervals and change the filter one or twice in between. It made a huge difference in how well my 7.3 PSD started and I'm down south here in North Carolina.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Can't really add to anything that has been said so far. IF he has the chance, your son can get an upper radiator hose for the ambulance prep package which will route the hose out and around the serpentine belt...there is an aluminum half-circle are on the front driver's side of the engine for just this purpose. It's a $20 upgrade and will make like much simpler if the truck pukes the belt. Most auto parts stores have the hose and a hose clamp to secure it.

Also, just curious as to what the outcome was with your son's truck SNAFU in MS last week. What was the culprit?

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
The only thing that left me stranded was the vacuum pump that went bad! No one had one in stock at any auto parts store!!! Other than that he should get some phone numbers of people who could help on the way.;Sweet

FlySAR

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, good info.

I just bought him 2 early Christmas presents:

500amp battery jump starter (not sure what their called exactly) in case he needs to crank it more than normal or drains the battery

(and)

Mr Heater Portable Buddy propane heater that is supposedly indoor safe in case they break down & need some heat before help arrives.

Del

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger