Sources for materials

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, I found a few new sources this weekend while working with BCT on our Bio-d project.

1. Phenolphthalein: Can be found at a lot of HOMEBREW beer and wine stores! They call it something else tho, "Color Solution" I think is their name for it, but it should have a "poison" label on it also.

2. Titration kits! The same beer stores may also have a ready made titration kit with Phenolphthalein, Sodium Hydroxide solution and a syringe and cup. All for about 5 bucks. Downside is, the syringe is like 30cc (which is a little large for us, plus, we really need two syringes), and another downside is their sodium hydroxide solution is .8% and we use .1% for ours. BUT, if they dont have the above color solution, they will have it in the titration kit.

3. Syringes: Albertsons, and actually pretty much all major pharmacies will GIVE YOU FOR FREE, those little plastic syringes that are measured in 10ml marks. These are PERFECT for titrations, one for the oil, and one for your Iso-hol and sodium hydroxide solution measurements. They are used for measuring medication for small children. Dont get the large eye-dropper style, you really want the true syringe.

Speaking of titrations, I really suggest building a small portable kit and testing the oil you want to collect ON-SITE!!! We have 55 gallons of CRAP because we didnt do that.

Some small baby food jars work GREAT for keeping a small supply of your sodium (or potassium if doing KOH batches), Iso-hol, and a third for doing the mixing in. Toss in an extra bottle of Phenol and your syringes and you can test onsite in about 3 mins.!

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Just FYI, I found a few new sources this weekend while working with BCT on our Bio-d project.

4. Sparks Tastes like crap, makes you want to take a long walk in th emiddle of the night.... :rotflmao

sagebel

Reaction score
Daryl & Scott, where are you guys getting your methanol and how much are you paying?

Scott

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sagebel said:
Daryl & Scott, where are you guys getting your methanol and how much are you paying?

Scott

Lol uhhhh thats not my department. I think he said thiers a supplier in kent, but one in everette is cheaper by a lot. untill you factor in the drive... We havent bought the bulk yet, as we need some oil that'll actually titrate out. Also my waterheater had corroded around the lower element and the threads busted off when trying to swap it out. So we have to nail that down this weekend also.

On a side note, I posted on craigslist offering to pay for filtered WVO. No responces in 3 days..

bentwings

Reaction score
alcohol I get from the race car guys. $2.50 a gallon usually +/- a little. Clean and dry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online