SOURCE FOR 1986 XLT LARIAT TAILGATE TRIM PANEL??

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friends,

Steve, Debbie & I spent the day walking the aisles of any number of scrap & wrecking yards all over Bexar County looking for the above part, as well as the "diesel" emblem for the tailgate of my "new to me" 6.9 XLT Lariat. = ZERO success, except that we all had quite a hike.

IF any of you happen to know where that trim panel OR the plastic reflector with the FORD lettering can be bought, I would be a buyer.

yours, satx

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recycle row in rancho cordova cal.
Ford truck 800-434-2222
They are proud of thier product, but ....

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Unless you want to really shell out the dough, forgetaboutit. LMC and anywhere else I've seen them has them proceed at about $500. Both of my trucks are lariats. Bruiser's panel was falling off and the Enterprise's panel isn't in great shape either (very bad PO's). I'm opting to get either the FORD stamped XL tailgates and new decals or most likely a plain one for the Enterprise and stencil "NCC-1701-D" on it :D

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clb; crash-harris,

THANKS Guys.

I'm really hoping to find a trim panel that's not all the way to the Pacific Coast and/or pay a "national treasure" price for a piece of plastic.

yours, satx

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I gotchya now, your looking for just the plastic strip on the aluminum tailgate trim panel. Won't be $500, but still way more than anyone wants to pay for some plastic that is prone to warping.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Them effing plastic *** pannels,When mine fails' I'm gunna fill the holes and paint it, the thought of doing a roll pan treatment has been bandied around.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crash-harris; Clb,

My tailgate & the aluminum part of the trim panel is in GREAT shape. - About 6 inches of the reflective plastic is broken off & GONE along with the chrome "D" in Ford.

Really, I'd like the Lariat to be 100% stock (with nothing more/less than the dealer installed accessories that it had when "Miss Brenda" bought it new in Dallas.) but that may not happen anytime soon.

Pardon me for bragging but this is a NICE truck OR will be whenever we finish cleaning it up, put in 2 new batteries & get it to start. = Physically, it looks like a 2 year old PU rather than a 30YO "barn find".

yours, satx

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To All,

Yesterday PM, "Tina" from a Southside wrecking yard emailed me a photo of a suitable tailgate that I have to buy to get the trim panel so I now have a good BLUE/white 1987 tailgate FOR CHEAP if anyone needs one.
(PM me if you want it.)

yours, satx

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where in San Antonio are you? I'm north of sa a bit between boerne and bulverde

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewespaul,

Nearly in downtown SATX on East Grayson St. between Broadway & New Braunfels Ave. 78208

yours, tex