Some brake issues...

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
What would cause a stiff brake pedal with minimal brake pressure? If you can time the stop perfectly with one push of the pedal the brakes work mint. But if you apply them too much and let off alittle, when you push them back down the pressure increases greatly and braking power decreases greatly too! Also in reverse the same thing happends except its a stiff pedal the whole time with minimal braking. It's sometimes scarry!

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a vacuum issue. Check vacuum pump and all connections. If pump is good, I would guess brake booster.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I think your right because today when I warmed up the truck, I couldn't get the heater to give me anything but defrost.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might check you front brake pads, I had a similar problem that turned out to be pads that were flat worn out. I could not tell they were 'that' bad until I removed them instead of just looking at the ends with the calipers still attached. FWIW might as well lube the sliders while you have the calipers off.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Are vacuum pumps by any chance rebuildable? I took the nipple off the vacuum manifold near the firewall and I'm not getting much vacuum at all. A website told me to have 20 inch lbs of vacuum. I'm going to hook it up to a guage tomorrow to pull an actual number.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace just the diaphragm assembly instead of the whole pump. Midwest Fuel Injection sells the diaphragm assm, but it is only a few dollars cheaper than the whole pump if I remember correctly. If you go for the diaphragm only, change the oil in the main housing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online