So, I has a question regarding Goldenrold filters...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stated before that I got one of these basically for free and was thinking about running it on my truck.

But my question is...what's the change-out interval on these things, usually? I also noticed that the filter elements are around $9 each...ow.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
How long depends on the fuel quality in the tank. The Goldenrod filter swells as moisture goes through it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can darn near tell by looking at them ( unless they get wAterlogged from some REALLY nasty fuel, for crying out loud, there is a huge water seperator bowl on the thing, if you drain it regularly it will let most of teh water out before it ever gets to the filter element, you have to get a REALLY nasty batch of fuel for it to get hung up in the filter element, but it's mighty nice to have that backup after some of the things I've seen out on the road... like a truckstop owner standing over his diesel storage tank with a garden hose cutting his fuel with water :backoff)they get pretty nasty looking when they get clogged up and they generally start clogging from the bottom up so you can usually see it coming.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to try just putting it down inside a regular u-bolt, like you would use for exhaust...3" would probably work pretty well. Beyond that you'd just have to make something to hold it that attached to the inlet and outlet.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think TSC has a mounting bracket for them. I've been slightly thinking of installing one at my biodiesel fueling station to replace the NAPA universal filter, which wors perfectly well, only with the goldenrod you can more easily see when the filter is starting to get trashed. You're always guessing with those closed canisters. I take my biodiesel quality seriously because it is cheaper and easier in the long run. I have had enough of laying on the side of the road changing fuel filters just cause I cut corners on QC. In the same vein, the package says it's not suitable for B100. It doesn't say why not, or what blend it's suitable up to, or if the same applies to veggie oil or waste engine oil. We had them at UF when I worked at our now defunct plant. The seemed fine but some s*** still got past them. I guess no filter is 100% and you just need to buy from a good, high turnover source if you're buying from the big bad oil companies or really do your homework and QC if homebrewing. I may give the Goldenrod company a call and see why they say that on a lazy day like this one where I have nothing better to do and report back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828