so... frost plugs?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been working on the old 85 for a few days, I have been occupied with my new 6.0 :)
I ordered the new frost plugs from Ford, pack of seven. I shouldn't have any trouble with the one,I can get at that pretty easy. How do I get the one under the Frame on the drivers side. It's covered up by a motor mount. Any tricks?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you get it bolted to your engine stand, remove the motor mount and it'll be right there LOL

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I haven't been working on the old 85 for a few days, I have been occupied with my new 6.0 :)
I ordered the new frost plugs from Ford, pack of seven. I shouldn't have any trouble with the one,I can get at that pretty easy. How do I get the one under the Frame on the drivers side. It's covered up by a motor mount. Any tricks?
http://www.etoolcart.com/expansionpluginstaller303-d045.aspx
First you will need the tool to install these plugs
You will have to remove the engine to get to that particular plug.
wWhile you have the engine out replace all seven and use avaition cement when installing them.
I had the same problem after I rebuilt my 6.9L after I got all this freeze plug problem worked out I havent had any more issues.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... about that... ha ha. No way to do it without that?

I think you can if you remove the oil cooler and the motor mount on that side. So you'd have to jack up the engine, remove mount, remove oil cooler then do freeze plug. I personally would rather pull the pos out than lay on the floor and do it over my head, but whatever float's your boat lol.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never pulled the motor,but if I did I would probably do a lot more to it than just plugs possibly rebuild motor. What's all involved with removing a motor

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never pulled the motor,but if I did I would probably do a lot more to it than just plugs possibly rebuild motor. What's all involved with removing a motor

i put a motor in mine last summer pita with a manual trans id rather lay on my back all day before doing that again

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
To remove the engine not necasseraly in this order
remove the driveshaft
remove the transmisson crossmember
remove the transmission
remove the starter
lossen the engine mounts on the engine crossmember
remove the radiator and fan shroud
remove the engine belt driven accerories
remove the heater hoses from the engine
remove the air filter asembly
Im sure there are other things that need to be removed but I cant remember what they are.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To remove the engine not necasseraly in this order
remove the driveshaft
remove the transmisson crossmember
remove the transmission
remove the starter
lossen the engine mounts on the engine crossmember
remove the radiator and fan shroud
remove the engine belt driven accerories
remove the heater hoses from the engine
remove the air filter asembly
Im sure there are other things that need to be removed but I cant remember what they are.
At that point, I'd have to buy a different truck....;Sweet

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
http://www.etoolcart.com/expansionpluginstaller303-d045.aspx
First you will need the tool to install these plugs
You will have to remove the engine to get to that particular plug.
wWhile you have the engine out replace all seven and use avaition cement when installing them.
I had the same problem after I rebuilt my 6.9L after I got all this freeze plug problem worked out I havent had any more issues.

You need that tool for sure, but you might *try* to get one from Rotunda first, to see if you can save $50, I say try because they have a habit of not wanting to sell to folks if they arent a shop. That's a great link, its nice to see someone is now selling the things to the public ( and we also have a set of plans here on the site for those equipped who are able to make their own )
There is an article with pictures here on how to install those plugs properly where you wont have problems. You really would be best off pulling the engine, it's going to be near impossible to work on that thing in confined quarters, and if you have suspect plugs, the 2 worst ones are where you cannot get to them with the engine installed anyway, they are behind the flywheel ( and one of those critters is what walked out on mine due to faulty installation :backoff It would be a cryin shame to go through all that work only to have one of the rear two pop on you in 6 months

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online