Smoking real bad need some thoughts!

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently 7 days past a (L) knee replacement and a shop down the road will be doing this for me.
I just supply the parts.

Recent purchase, used car lot, '94 idi 7.3 turbo, F350 crew cab Dually.
I am more or less in the middle of an engine /drive-train swap. My oil consumption was about a quart in 250 miles and started smoking to beat the doors down.

I went with the total engine replacement, starter, oil cooler, water pump, etc including the turbo for the peace of mind factor.
The engine also developed a rod knock and it is done.
Thinking about all of this, the turbo blew a seal, oil consumption went up, and it got traded in, probably just not before the engine ran out of oil once or twice.
Along comes me, and the rest is history. No smoke during test drive and I suspect a can of molasses was added to the oil.
If your engine is not knocking, I would throw a turbo at it to start with.
Unless your going to put a new engine under an old turbo.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
compression sounds good, 360 is still good enough to fire cylinder. Is the smoke coming from tail pipe or from under hood. 1. Turbo need to be check 2. head gasket can be a problem because they blow out a lot of smoke standing on pedal (out the tail-pipe). 3. fuel leak out return line and leaking into manifold gasket causes run-away if by CDR. 4. oil leak on oil pressure sending unit will make a trail of oil while driving and only leave a few drops on ground when park. Start doing diagnostic check before you replace motor. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online