Smoking and heavy diesel odor

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put about 3000 miles on the 1992 F350 IDI that we bought a few months ago. From the time we got the truck every time you turn the truck off there has been a fairly strong odor of diesel mainly coming from the engine compartment. At times there was also what seemed like very light
smoking form both sides of the dual exhaust.

I've been using the truck to pull loaded 18' flatbed trailers from Arkansas to Kentucky so most of the driving time I've had with it has been on the road.

This last trip I noticed that although the diesel odor seems to have remained about the same the blueish white smoke coming from the exhaust is more pronounced even at idle. Even more noticeable is the smoking when heading downhill under engine braking. Its definitely noticeable and leaves a cloud behind.

Oil consumption over the last 3000 miles or so appears to have been no more than a quart or so. Which to me seems about normal. The odor out of the exhaust pipes is a very diesel smell. Fuel mileage is not that great when towing, probably somewhere around 7 to 10 mpg depending on the terrain.

So what could be causing the diesel odors and what would be causing the smoke out of the exhaust pipes?

Prior to our buying the truck its prior use was probably a half dozen times a year towing a horse trailer around Tennessee. It only has 150,000 miles on it right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to guess that it needs new injectors and return tees and hoses, that is the most common "diesel smell "source, the smoking can be injectors or it may need an oil change. 1 qt in 3000 is not bad.
If the pump has never been rebuilt now is the time.
Find a rebuild shop near you for the best service.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a fuel leak in the engine compartment. Likely the return caps/lines on the injectors. I've also had the "weep hole" on the bottom of the IP start to leak fuel prior to it's demise.

You'll likely find wet injector fuel return caps/lines under the hood and fuel on the valley pan.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't know which Jefferson Ar, that you're in, the one just south of LR or the one near Magnolia, but there;s an injection shop in North Little Rock I just picked up a new set of injectors from real reeasonable, Taylor Diesel on 2121 E Broadway I asked him to pop test them all and he did it no charge PRice was great. sounds like you may have a sloberer or two.

How does it act when you go to start it cold?

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I'm sorry about not replying to any posts until just now, shortly after posting I ended up making several round trips between Arkansas and Kentucky and of course dealing with the holidays.

After reading the advice posted above I ended up buying 8 new Delphi injectors from Pensacola Diesel in Florida. Cost was $155 shipped. I also ordered from Pensacola a rebuilt injector pump for $295 delvered. I felt the prices were pretty good.

A friend of mine pointed me towards a mechanic who used to be the shop forman for Diamond International near Little Rock. He's going to replace the injectors and return lines for $125. We haven't settled on a price for the injector pump replacement yet but I'm sure it will be reasonable.

I couldn't find any obvious leaks under the hood but that doesn't mean they weren't there.

When I first got the truck it started real easy (of course it was warmer then) but lately it had gotten to be pretty cranky when starting cold. Also the diesel fumes/smoke/odors from the exhaust have been getting worse.

An oil change didn't solve the problem as I had the oil changed about 700 miles ago and its still doing it.

I'll know at the end of this month whether replacing the injectors and pump sovled the problem as thats when I will be back in Arkansas to haul another load to Kentucky.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Brad

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GP's, GP-R/controller, IP is definitly on the way out due to the excessive smoke... my 94 turbo did the same thang... rebuilt pump, new lines (some idiot left off the vibration damper clamps) new GP's, controller, head gaskets. with the turbo, i hadd a 25% fuel increase done @ rebuild... its a beast now...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ohhh dang, I thought you were calling me....
whole "Smoking heavy and strong diesel odor"
my bad.

moving on.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to update this thread after I drove the truck 600 miles with the new injector pump (re-manufactured) and new injectors, all from Pensacola Diesel.

The injector pump cost $295 and the injectors were $155. A replacement idle up solenoid was $10 (used), return line kit at $32 and the labor was $300 for a grand total of $792. The engine ran flawlessly (can't say the same for the transmission though :puke:).

The load that I towed was the heaviest to date, around 8,000 lbs and my mileage went from 7 mpg towing a 5,000 lb load to 10 mpg towing the 8,000 lb load. That's a pretty significant change, about 30%. Needless to say I'm quite happy with the way the engine runs. One less thing to worry about.

Brad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online