Skipping Windshield Wipers

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I fix the "skip" in my windshield wipers on the "out" stroke. They return quietly to the bottom of the stroke.

Thank you,

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
How can I fix the "skip" in my windshield wipers on the "out" stroke. They return quietly to the bottom of the stroke.

Thank you,

Mike

Have you tried new wipers? I have found that if I buy them from walmart I get "old" wipers new in the box, but if I buy them from the local advanced auto down the street that they are "new" and don't vibrate across the windshield - but find that sun and heat destroy them quick...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
argve said:
Have you tried new wipers? I have found that if I buy them from walmart I get "old" wipers new in the box, but if I buy them from the local advanced auto down the street that they are "new" and don't vibrate across the windshield - but find that sun and heat destroy them quick...
I have a friend who installs glass. cookoo He once told me that a good pair of wipers will only last for about 6 months in the sun and heat. Causes em to dry out mighty quick, especially in those warmer area of the U.S.

Ron

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Just tape a few pennies to the arm. Oh wait that's for skipping records, nevermind. Try cleaning the wiper blades with some rubbing alcohol, and a cotton ball(wife loves me for raiding her side of the sink) :) IF that makes a differance it's time for new wipers.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GRuss said:
Just tape a few pennies to the arm. Oh wait that's for skipping records, nevermind. Try cleaning the wiper blades with some rubbing alcohol, and a cotton ball(wife loves me for raiding her side of the sink) :) IF that makes a differance it's time for new wipers.

I've tried everything from "new" rubber wipers to new wipers with teflon edges. Never did really get rid of the skip, although the teflon wipers blades were better.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with something in the mechanism being out of alignment.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
I've tried everything from "new" rubber wipers to new wipers with teflon edges. Never did really get rid of the skip, although the teflon wipers blades were better.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with something in the mechanism being out of alignment.

???

Could be the springs wearing out on the arms. I have seen a wiper arm assist that they use on the Crown Vic's for the squads. Helps keep em down at higher speeds. I think I have seen them at Napa.

Just a thought since you've tried the new wipers.

Ron

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i found that if i spray the pivot point of the wiper arm and spring with some good quality penetrating oil(thrust,pb blaster)it eliminates the skip for awhile ;Sweet
but i am going to try new springs and maybe the arms somtime. ;)

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
i found that if i spray the pivot point of the wiper arm and spring with some good quality penetrating oil(thrust,pb blaster)it eliminates the skip for awhile ;Sweet
but i am going to try new springs and maybe the arms somtime. ;)

Thanks guys... will try the oil, then the springs.

Mike

seagravedriver

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Thanks guys... will try the oil, then the springs.

Mike

You may have tried this already, but I got good results from putting brand new arms on my 86. Worked better. I am also now running "PIAA" brand wipers. Expensive, but BY FAR the best blades I have ever had. They got put on a 95 windstar, :thumbsup: and a 03 stroke', in December and I they are stilll acting like brand new. Craig

analog

Reaction score
I'll throw my vote in here for SilBlades (http://www.silblade.com/)

I've had a pair on my 97 Dakota since 1998.. the same set for 7 years now. Still wipes like new, and very little chatter usually when I am above 70MPH. They are guaranteed for 5 years. I put them on all my vehicles and have never been disappointed.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got to do with the Sun,heat,cold, UV etc. the ones on my truck only last a few months...the one's on my Vette (lives in the garage) last for years!