Since there seems to be someone around here who can answer just about anything...

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are probably better places to ask this, but I wanted to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge, we have here.....

I have to rebuild the CV joint on the front drive shaft in an 01 Dodge Dakota with AWD. By CV joint, I mean a splined end that fits into a disk shaped housing which bolts to a flange on the tcase via 6- 8mm bolts. Regular 4 bolt flange on the other end. I find a lot of write-ups on the internet for rebuilding what other people call a CV joint, but what I call a double cardan (the kind with two u-joints...). I hope that made sense....

I have found a rebuild kit for the female splined end and bearing for $100 and a replacement male splined end for the driveshaft for around $20. So my question is, is this rebuildable for a guy with a good tool set and a vise, or is this something that requires a fifteen-gazillion ton hydraulic press and a 30,000 rpm computer balancer? If this is a home job, does anyone know of a good writeup for this? My google searches have drawn a blank.

Thanks!!

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the cost of a reman unit from oreiley. Often, their prices for one are about the same as the parts and include a lifetime warranty.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean a complete remanned driveshaft?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I would just take it up to Buds Spring shop in Lancaster (an authorized Dana and Spicer dealer) and have them rebuild it. Sounds like the same joint that is in my IDI Bronco, so due to the simularity, I will leave this thread here.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do the cardigan joint correctly there are some special tools, and the parts can be as exspensive as a reman. I too would take it to a dana dealer and have it rebuilt, and save you from frustration and headaches

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana/Spicer parts are hard to beat as well. Your rebuild will likely last as long as the original.

I'll look up a rebuilder then. Because the dodge has 187K miles....and it's pretty incredible for anything to last 187K on a goat truck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you have to ask, don't bother trying to rebuild a CV shaft. Buy a rebuilt shaft with a warranty. Just getting the friggen boots on some of those things will drive you to drink and it's so horribly easy to get dirt in there in the process in which case you will be doing the job again VERY soon. It's not all that hard to remove and replace the shafts themselves so just get one already to go and pop it in. Your sanity will benefit in the long run

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online