Should I Bother - Pop Test Injectors or Buy New

FlySAR

Reaction score
87' 6.9 was running rough with poor power going up hill without a load. I pulled the injectors today & there was a band on it showing remanufacture date 94'.

Should I expect that they laid on the shelf for a long time & were just recently installed - therefore have them pop tested. The truck I pulled the motor from was only suppose to have 80,000+.

(or)

Just figure they're shot, save the money on the test & buy new ones; I'm thinking this option is probably best.

If I buy new - which brand?

If I but reman - which brand?

Pro's/Con's for both.

Thanks,
Del

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the cost of testing. With new Delphi's under $30 each, it's sometimes cheaper to just install new (not reman) units for the peace of mind...

Ryan

suv7734

Reaction score
Many shops will test for free and even with new ones it is a really good idea to get them pop tested... There was a thread on here not to long ago where someone had a new set of injectors and when they went to install them one of them had a loose tip!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really agree with Bruce, you want to test them especially if you can find a shop to test them for little or no money. You want to get the BB Delphi if you get new ones. The new are probably better than remans. I think Stanadyne had some QC problems at one point in time and may have compromised on spray pattern.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flysar where in the northwest are you??

FlySAR

Reaction score
The injectors are stamped with a "B" does it matter much which letter is on them? I know very little about about stamp codes, except from what I've read here, and I guess the most important thing is that all 8 match & avoid the "G", is that right?

I Live in North Bend, OR.

Del

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideally you'd match it to the injector pump as close as possible. The B injectors you have are very similar to the BB code Lucas/Delphi injectors I mentioned earlier only made by Stanadyne instead. The G codes and the AA/A codes are the only ones that are really different enough to worry about, so just make sure they all match and avoid the AA and G and you ought to be golden.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always test if you can. Just because they are new, doesn't mean they work!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many shops will test for free and even with new ones it is a really good idea to get them pop tested... There was a thread on here not to long ago where someone had a new set of injectors and when they went to install them one of them had a loose tip!

That was me. I bought NEW Stanadyne injectors. I still need to pull the other 7 and check them too. I didn't find out about the loose nozzle until I had the truck running for a while and fuel was spewing out of my fuel tank!! In a customers' lot no less.

I still can't believe I spent all that money and got garbage.

So yea "new" doesn't always equel "good".

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with them. Its supposed to be used with the A series 6.9 motors that have slightly lower compression ratio and were produced in the 83 and early 84 model year run. If they will hurt anything on a standard 6.9 or 7.3 I couldn't say with any authority or if you could use the other letter codes in an "A" engine, I couldn't say either. The G codes are supposed to be matched with the later style turbo pump, but I keep hearing that they actually were an emissions injector and they may not flow even as much fuel as a standard inj. Others say the G codes flow more fuel than all others. Honestly I really don't know.

FlySAR

Reaction score
I decided to order some NEW delphi BB injectors; I'll make sure to have them tested before install. If this doesn't solve my poor power dilema I guess it will be time for a new IP. Thanks for all the info. Del

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll see a big difference! Make sure to get the injector pump timed with tools to get the most out of it. You wouldn't want to replace a pump that was running well but just a little retarded on injection timing would you? On the other hand, for best results a complete fuel system upgrade isn't a bad idea but it'll cost you... if you have that money and you like your truck it may be money well spent,
JD