Short Trips In Winter?

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Hey guys, i've got a question. Its getting to be about 20 degrees outside (and will still be getting colder) and I have a few things i'm worried about. I have like a 3 minute drive to school, but I stop at the local gas station in the morning and grab a drink on the way there. Before I leave, the truck idles for about 10 minutes. Then, I go to school. Leave for lunch. Then after school, 20 minutes to work, which lets the engine get up to temp and run for a while. My question is, are the short trips bad on the motor? I let it warm-up, and I don't drive it hard unless its up to temp. Just didn't know if this was ******* it. Is my idle time about right to? thanks

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it's warm you're fine. Cranking it frozen and jumping on the peddle is what can cause issues.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest plugging the truck in overnight or on a timer for about 2 hours before you leave. Idling a diesel doesn't generate a lot of warmth very quickly but the block heater will take the engine about halfway there. You might also consider blocking off about 80% of the radiator (a **** if you have money to spend but a piece of cardboard works too) to help the engine warm up faster. In winter areas some folks run 195F thermostats as well. Finally, the scenario you describe tends to shorten the life of the oil due to fuel contamination (a cold diesel combustion chamber is very inefficient and leaves unburned fuel and more soot) and condensation so an oil change interval at the short end of normal is best. If you do some driving once a week that brings the engine up fully to operating temp for 30-45 minutes, that's enough to "clean" the oil of fuel and condensation byproducts for the most part.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guys don't like to idle. If I start my truck, even if just to move it in my yard, it does not get turned off until it is hot. Combustion creates moisture which needs to be burned off. 10 minutes is fine to warm it up but it is always better to warm it up on a light load. The guy that does many, many short trips on his truck and is constantly starting it many times per day is the guy that will probably need engine work long before the guy that does long trips. Your routine is fine. Drive it and have fun!

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks! I was worried I was hurting the old girl, but I let her get up to temp and run her for a little on the way to work every day. Thanks again guys!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
A manual high idle is must in my opinion. Anytime my truck is going to idle awhile I kick on the high idle.