Shifts hanging up under 3/4ths to FT....

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Shifts hanging up at 3/4ths to WOT....

I dont get it... :dunno

The '94 truck has been like this the day i bought it.

I just replaced the tach sensor and the TPS. It shifts much better now but i still have the shifts hanging up from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. I can have it floored and it will drive in 2nd or 3rd gear all day with out shifting up UNLESS i ease up on the throttle. It will shift from 1st to 2nd under full throttle but it is an extremly delayed and sharp hard shift.

This problem is quite an issue driving on the freeway and making attempts to pass people.

What do you guys think the issue is?

Another thing to note is that i have adjusted the TPS to the correct volatage specs and yet the shifts still hang up.

thanks

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More info needed.

What is the fluid level when hot? Overfilled above the full mark? Low below the add mark?

Last fluid and filter change?

Is the heat shield there next to the tranny harness connector on pass side?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What do you have the new tps set at... They required voltage is .96 to 1.2 volts.. Seems a small amount but in reality it isn't.... At .96 the shifts are very soft and long... At 1.2 the shifts are crisper and harder....

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
The fluid is On the T of HOT when hot. The last fluid and filter change was about 15k miles ago.

Heat shield? Yes there is one on the exhaust pipe coming from the turbo but on the cross over pipe there is not one.

It wont shift after 2500-2700 RPM.

I need to check again what the voltage was but i went off of the specs in the tech article.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
The engine free revs at around 3000-3300. Its weird cause it seems that the last few hundred rpms take a bit longer.

a thought just came to me... since i have replaced the tachometer sensor i havn't free reved it, but i bet it clearly hit 3300rpm, which is the highest i have ever seen it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
so will the engine not go past 25-2700 wot in gear, or will it get to 3300?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
, it will go up to pretty much 3300 if i were to stay on it. It wont shift at WOT though. I rarely take it past 3k rpm though.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Play with the TPS a little more. The specs are ball park. Dial to your liking.:D Higher voltage will speed and firm up the shifts.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under WOT I see the upshift at 3500. Has the valve body ever been dropped? Could be a stuck checkball or weak spring.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Ok well i haven't been able to make a video yet. I've been pretty busy with classes this week.

I will try playing with the TPS a bit more like trackspeeder suggested.

@ManicMike: That is an interesting thought, I would not know if the valve body has been dropped though. The previous owner never supplied me with the info about the trans rebuild he claimed he had done, and the shop that did it lost all of there info on there computer. :(

Today while merging on the freeway, the on ramp was facing downhill, i floored it and the trans hung up in second gear but actually shifted and then hung up in third for a bit but shifted after a few seconds. The thing i have noticed is that it wont hang up as long or as bad when going downhill. I dunno if this has any significance.