seen ice road truckers tonight have a dvr question

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the newest episode art kept getting out of his truck to pump fuel into the filter housing thinking??? maybe the filter is clogged in a way but anyway could you fashion one up to an idi or any other diesel? just a thought

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you can buy filter housings that have a built in primer pump in the head. alot of trucks have them.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a primer bulb to go in the line. Boat shops have them. My local Walmart has them in the boating sectiion.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Simple answer is to install an electric lift pump instead of the mechanical lift pump.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its always bugged me that our lift pumps don't have a manual primer. I like a pump that is driven by a diesel engine, not a little electric motor. My 85 Mercedes had one, which made priming after a filter change or opening up the lines a breeze. Fortunately, the little 6 banger going in my 97 has a manual primer button as well. The mechanical lift pump on our engines acts as a valve, and won't allow fuel to pass - so its not as simple as adding a boat or filter head primer, unless you don't have a mechanical lift pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online