Seatbelts dont retract (searched)

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, Im just going down the list of issues with this truck, and close to the bottom of my list is the fact that BOTH seatbelts do not 'grasp' or lock the seatbelt.. so what happens is they just get looser and looser until you pull the belt and make it retract back again..
I noticed there was a sensor on the bottom of the bench which I plugged in, but it didnt make a difference.. I'm not sure what else to check for this issue.
Is there any solenoid hooked up to our seatbelt mechanisms to make them 'lock' ?

I searched this topic and didnt find anything on this..
God forbid I get in an accident.. right now the seatbelts are for show only :eek:
Thanks in advance OB!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a weight on the retract spool that locks the belt when suddenly ****** or in an accident. The sensor is to shut the seatbelt light off when latched. There is no solenoid on belts. Try jerking the belt to lock it, if it does, then you have to retract it to unlock it, if it don't, then new belts are a must.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, but Its strange that both do not work..
I guess I can try and source some next time I'm at a junkyard.
thanks

gandalf

Reaction score
As the Bull has said, the seatbelt mechanism is purely mechanical. It locks only with a sudden jerk, such as when your body is headed for the windshield following a heavy impact. If it locked when snapped in, you wouldn't be able to reach forward to pull knobs on the dashboard. That wouldn't be too convenient. The only electric hookup is the control for the idiot light to tell you you forgot to fasten your seatbelt.cookoo

If they do not lock properly, with a sudden jerk on the belt, they should be fixed or replaced.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think seatbelts could ever fail in that way.. but hey I learn something new everyday.
I'll try and get a replacement set of them.
Ford = Fix or Repair Daily. Living up to its name LOL

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
will sell u the ones in mine. they lock up to damn quick! just to to lean forward to look out the window when wheeling and they will lock me back down. for that reason i stoped wearing the shoulder strap and leave the lap belt on.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i noticed when i had my interior out installing the new carpet that the seatbelts had a cord that runs down to the door. when you open the door the belt wants to ratchet back. open your door and you will see a black push button looking thing. I hate how our seatbelts stay loose all the time as you move around and the only way to get them back to you is give them a tug. i have to do that constantly. i wonder if you can get rid of the button by the door so that they stay close to you all the time. i was afraid that if i took that out that the belt would not work. :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online