Screwy fuel gauge on 94 Ram 2500

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
Just got my truck and the previous owner said that the fuel gauge didn't work. It was on empty so I decided to put a few gallons in there and start to look for a problem (connections, grunds etc) Well After adding 10 gallons of fuel the gauge actually went further down. Now it's way below empty. cookoo . Any ideas, I haven't got much data at this time I need a wiring diagram if the tank connector to check readings, wil keep posted.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ah you found the classic Dodge fuel sender problem... I got it as well...

Have done quite a bit of reading on it out on the net, basically it boils down to the float arm pivot is worn allowing the arm to move away from the contacts causing the fuel gauge head to read empty. You can do one of two things...

1st replace the entire sender

2nd repair the sender... This is actually pretty easy from what I have read - haven't actually done the repair yet but read about it and printed off a guide on some dudes webpage. What you do in his repair is pull the sender and cut off the nub on the end of the pivot and install a light wieght spring and retainng washer - one of those push on deals that comes with your kids tricycle - you can get them at the hardware store for around a few pennies - they also are the little holders that slip over the wheel studs on a vehcile to hold either the brake rotor or drums in place. Then once you get the spring and retaining washer on the plastic pivot stud it holds the fuel arm up against the eletrical contacts so that your fuel gauge actually works... like I said I haven't actually done it yet but read all about it. It' s on my NEED TO DO list that keeps getting pushed off because of camping and boating...

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
Fill with fuel, reset tripometer, drive 250-300 miles , refill, see how many gallons you used, determine if you could actually drive farther than that before refilling!! Mine hasn't worked for 2+years!

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 1997, except when i filled up the gauge went to empty and vica-versa.

Wouldn't read consistent though. it was all over the place. i tore the box off the truck trying to fix the problem numerous times but failed, so i just said screw it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stacerbob said:
Fill with fuel, reset tripometer, drive 250-300 miles , refill, see how many gallons you used, determine if you could actually drive farther than that before refilling!! Mine hasn't worked for 2+years!
thats a very popular method

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
Yep, that's my plan for that problem fo now. Allready did a milage check. Most of my driving is around town so I clock it for just that 257 miles have to work to squeeze 13 gallons in the tank. Looks like the better part of 20MPH to me. :thumbsup: The guy I work with sometimes, has a Chebby 2500 Silverado gasser rig, he's jelious, he gets 12. Course I'll figure less when plowing or towin' a trailer.

mechanic61

Reaction score
my sender did the same thing, 2-years after i bought it new!!! mine is a 1994 the dealer had to replace the sender assembly... 5-years, latter the fuel-lines rotted off the truck! i had to fab-new lines. man doe's that truck run!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online