School me

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am looking at a 95 3500HD. It is a Lumber Yard delivery truck.
6.5 Auto trans 14' dumping flatbed 200k.

They say when the truck gets warmed up(5 miles or so) the trans starts slipping real bad. I am not an auto man so i am lost here. I will assume it needs a trans.

Also, what other issues could arise from this truck? The price is cheap, but I wan to make sure I am not getting in over my head. And what would the truck be worth in current condition, what would a trans cost? And what would it be worth running good

Thanks

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Just replied to your other post, but I know these are some of the answers you'll get from other GM guys...

The 6.5's are notorious for thier PMD's over heating. The best mod you can do to it is get an extension harness and move it out of the way of the engine's heat.

4L80e's are pretty stout transmissions; it's hard to kill them if you take care of them, even if you're beating the crap out of it. It kind of sounds like the clutches are worn out and once the fluid warms up so it's flowing, it's letting them slip. Sounds like new transmission time to me, too. They're not THAT expensive. Expect no more than $1000 or so for a new one, kind of like the E4od's. Even then though, you can get nice used ones for much cheaper.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replied to your other post, but I know these are some of the answers you'll get from other GM guys...

The 6.5's are notorious for thier PMD's over heating. The best mod you can do to it is get an extension harness and move it out of the way of the engine's heat.

4L80e's are pretty stout transmissions; it's hard to kill them if you take care of them, even if you're beating the crap out of it. It kind of sounds like the clutches are worn out and once the fluid warms up so it's flowing, it's letting them slip. Sounds like new transmission time to me, too. They're not THAT expensive. Expect no more than $1000 or so for a new one, kind of like the E4od's. Even then though, you can get nice used ones for much cheaper.
+1 on the tech comments.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
So 800 for a used 50k trans is too much:dunno

Where would I look for the extension harness to move the PMD. Any pics?

It has been over 13 years since i had my head under the hood of a 6.5 so thingss are fuzzy

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 800 for a used 50k trans is too much:dunno

Where would I look for the extension harness to move the PMD. Any pics?

It has been over 13 years since i had my head under the hood of a 6.5 so thingss are fuzzy
800 isn't the greatest but it isn't bad either.
look at Heath Diesel's website for the harness extension kit. most people move them to the front bumper.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you are just going to sell I wouldnt bother with the relocate. The pmd will still fail no matter where you put it, just makes it easier to replace.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok, well i went an ACTUALLY looked at the truck today.
it is a 7.4 AKA 454 NOT a 6.5.

Mechanic said trans was bad 6 months ago. But i Talked to the guy who drove it every day. He says trans works fine. He did say it back fires though, so With the milage I would say cracked head or burnt valves