Say you owned an F-450. Dump bed Q's

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I'm trying to set the 450 up to make some side money. I want to make the flatbed into a dumper.
What would be the most effective lift system? A single multistage cylinder mounted all the way forward, like what the big boys run, or twin single stage cylinders, one on each side, on the outside of the frame rails, starting just forward of the front (of the rear) spring hangers, angling forward to the bottom of the bed.

The flat bed is 14' long, and will never see more than 5 tons under any circumstances.

The trick is, that I want to be able to remove the dump bed when I need to.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I built mine on the Moose Tail, I opted for a half sizzor design. You gotta figure the toughest part of the lift is the first foot or so. after that, the effort required is greatly reduced. Make sure whatever you get has some upward angle to it from the get go. The more the better.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
first-
you're going overkill on anything more than a single cylinder.
Omaha Standard is what I have installed and serviced over the years.
their resale is the best too.
clicky.......
http://www.northlandequipment.com/omahastdscissorhoists.html

They don't even publish the prices.LOL I'm willing to bet that one of those would cost more than I paid for the truck by a good margin. I heard about a used one the other day for $1,100. Just the lift, no PTO, no hoses, no controls.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I think the standard scissor lift that comes under almost every mason dump would work best. If you lived closer to PA i have a complete dump set up(body,hoist,pump,PTO, and controls) for $1200 off of a 88 F350 w a ZF