Running out of Ideas to Fix My Constant Smoking 6.9

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went and took a tour of the Diesel Tech school I'll be attending in January. They took my old injectors and are going to clean them out and pop test them. If they turn out to still be good, I'll swap them for the remans in the truck and get those checked out too.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update:

Stopped back by the Diesel School, and they still haven't had the chance to test the injectors. They said they'd get on it, so I'll be back in there in a week to see if anything's been done.
Found the receipt for the re-manned injectors that are in my truck, and they're still under warranty until Jan 10, if my old ones do fix the problem, I'll be shipping them back for replacements ASAP.

Hoping to pick up a compression tester at some point, after I have the injectors all figured out. Not bothering with the HF garbage.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what you describe if it's doing that after shutting down then yes it's likely that the valve stem seals have failed. The exhaust stem seals are usually the first to go.
Excuse the hijack, but I was just going to post a thread on this exact same problem, and this is the one suggestion I haven't been through yet. Would this cause smoke during idling/around town conditions as well? I go on the highway and it seems to clear out. Stupid question: how to check this? I did have old fuel system, and fuely idle smoke is cleared up and the truck runs smooth as butter, and makes great power. (Compression all 410-490). But taking off from a stoplight gets pretty foggy sometimes.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same situation with my 87!!Starting off from a stop when its dark outside I can see white smoke in the cars headlights behind me and a lot of it! It clears up above 2k. All cylinders read 440-455PSI , fuel economy is a little low at 16mpg and oil consumption is about 2 quarts every 5,000 miles. I am at a total loss!

stevedrums

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same situation with my 87!!Starting off from a stop when its dark outside I can see white smoke in the cars headlights behind me and a lot of it! It clears up above 2k. All cylinders read 440-455PSI , fuel economy is a little low at 16mpg and oil consumption is about 2 quarts every 5,000 miles. I am at a total loss!

thought i'd chime; in i'm in the same situation. my oil consumption is a lot worse though. i am waiting on a CDR valve to see if that helps.
truck has rebuilt IP, 7 rebuilt injectors

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's where I'm trying to make a decision on what order to do things:

With Thanksgiving coming up, I'm sure the school hasn't got around to testing my old injectors yet. I'm trying to decide if I should just go grab them as is and just go through the trouble of swapping in my old injectors & IP to see if that fixes the smoke, or if I should wait on them to tell me they're good, and in the meantime maybe buy a compression tester to make sure the rings aren't an issue. Aiming towards just swapping in the old injectors ASAP, and see if it makes a difference. Just been super busy, and this month has been total hell for me, so haven't been able to focus on which would be a better route to go.

Need to do something soon, since the fuel getting wasted is getting expensive (especially now that my block heater decided not to work anymore, so it has to idle for a long while in the morning :mad:)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Try retiming that sucker at 9.7 deg btdc. That setting works much better with the new ULSd fuel than the original 8.5 factory setting that was meant for high sulfur fuel and generally puts these things back to the original power and fuel mileage that they got at 8.5 on the old fuel, and 8 deg is just plain retarded and not helping you a bit.

As far as your injectors, just because you put rebuilt injectors in doesn't mean they are working. I bought a set from Diesel Careless ( before they earned their reputation :mad: and they went to crap in a couple of months and I had to get a set of new ones. This seems to happen a lot with rebilts as there really isn't any money in rebuilding Stanadyne injectors , New ones are cheaper than rebuilding them correctly so the rebuilt ones you find out there are junk.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't change the injectors and the IP at the same time, just do one or the other. For a compression tester adapter, you can use a 1/8" NPT nipple to screw in the GP holes, it'll go in 3-5 threads and not mess up the hole threads.

And where did you get your re-maned injectors from?

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my re-manned injectors from Pensecola Diesel last Jan (hence trying to figure if they're the problem before the warranty runs out).

I'm not worried it's a timing issue, since I've swapped my (supposedly rebuilt) IP with a UHaul pump, and it made NO difference in the unburnt fuel smoke. I've avoided advancing it too far, since it did fine advanced in CA, but burned up my Berus on the trip to ID, and with the elevation higher, I just didn't want to push it. I'll play with it between 8.5-9+ and see where it feels best and gets the best mileage.

My originals that came in the truck never had any issues (except that they were the IH originals), that's why I saved them. I'm going to run by the Diesel School today and grab my old ones, I know I'll have the downtime this weekend to swap them in. Don't need a major improvement, just a real difference. I only suggested swapping in my old pump since I don't want the brand new one to kill the old injectors.

If it makes a difference, I'll be buying a set of NEW injectors, and sending the re-manned ones in for replacements, just to have back ups.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New injectors are hard to come by. Depending on how long you have for warranty, I'd suggest sending those injectors in for a test. Accurate diesel will do it, or someone here might. And if you need rebuilts, at least get them from Mel or Russ here who will pop test them before sending them out.

Until you've timed the truck with a meter, timing is a potential issue, but I'd get those "new" injectors tested to see if they can't be replaced under warranty.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until you've timed the truck with a meter, timing is a potential issue, but I'd get those "new" injectors tested to see if they can't be replaced under warranty.

I have a Ferret adapter and have timed the truck in at different degrees to see if it made any difference. The smoked started a while after I had already timed the truck, and it was running well (without the smoking).
The smoking started coming on slowly (with no adjustments) and has progressively gotten worse. I've been doing things one at a time to find the problem, and it's worked it's way down to compression or (more likely) injectors...

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Ferret adapter and have timed the truck in at different degrees to see if it made any difference. The smoked started a while after I had already timed the truck, and it was running well (without the smoking).
The smoking started coming on slowly (with no adjustments) and has progressively gotten worse. I've been doing things one at a time to find the problem, and it's worked it's way down to compression or (more likely) injectors...

Ah, okay. Yeah, you're on the right track. Here's the link for Accurate. $30:

http://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/20.html

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I bought my re-manned injectors from Pensecola Diesel last Jan (hence trying to figure if they're the problem before the warranty runs out).

If you got them from Pensacola, you can just about guarantee that is your problem. There is no way that they actually rebuild any injectors at their prices. My local pump shop ( good guys ;Sweet won't even rebuild stanadyne injectors, as is the case with most reputable shops because to do it CORRECTLY would cost far more than the price of a new one and they just can't see fooling with used worn out parts that are going to give people trouble
when new ones will take care of the poroblem properly for less, and they don't charge anything to pop all the new ones to make sure they are all good and in spec
After wasting a day trying to time a fresh rebuilt pensacola pump one time to no avail because it was junk, I have no doubt that you will find your problem in the injectors.