running cool

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thermostat is stuck open. Will it hurt to run cool till I can get time to change it?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO it isn't the end of the world...I wouldn't park the truck until the thermostat's replaced, but I would try to do it ASAP. Also, I would keep short drives to a minimum...

Also, although you probably know this already, it's best to get a thermostat from Ford or from IH...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Where is the thermostat located? A friend has this problem, but we couldn't find the darn thing! Factory turbo 7.3.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Follow the upper radiator hose down to the engine block. The rubber hose connects to a cast iron piece that is bolted to the block. Unbolt that from the block, and you will see the thermostat.

As mentioned earlier, purchase only IH or Motorcraft thermostats for these engines.

tractorman86

Reaction score
no i wouldn't worry... what is your weather like tho? right under the alt on the pass. side in front of the head

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Did a quick search and found this a while back:

If you look at your radiator, find the hose that goes from the top of the radiator to the engine. On the engine, the hose goes into a cast piece that makes up the hose nipple. This cast piece is also the thermostat housing.

You pretty much need to remove the alternator to get to the bolts to remove the housing to get to the thermostat. I can't remember if you need to remove the fuel filter mounting bracket or not, but you may need to.

Take a look at the picture I attached...gives you an idea of where exactly the thermostat is located, with everything removed (was in the process of putting the engine back together when I took that picture, and hadn't done any of the accessories yet).

Hope this helps...good luck! :)

Original thread:
https://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20464&highlight=thermostat
Attached image to Warden's post:
attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat