Running boards,nerf bars, cab steps, grill guards/pushbars???????????????

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Ok, I see tons of this stuff that is alot of dough to purchase new on CL in abundant and for cheap.

As I am a cheapass with champagne taste and beer money i was wondering how har it is to *adapt* some of this stuff to my truck if it was not made for it.

I have never had running boards but i *assume* they bolt through the frame rail??? If so drilling some holes level is not a really big deal and perhaps finding something to step them out if they are not long enough to reach the frame and still be usable. Stack steel plate???

Now I again will have to*assume*the brush guard is a whole nother ball of wax. if someone has done this please share. How do they typically mount???

Thanks in advance..............Frank

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I "believe" most step bars and running boards bolt to the cab mounts and/or just to the cab itself. The push bars/grille guards I have bolt to the bumper through the mounts and wrap up under to the frame then bolt there also. Actually I have two that I'd sell. What year is your truck? And I'll see how both match up to my fords. I know the chrome-ish one I have I just pulled of my chevy. The other I'm not sure what it came from.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Westin step bars bolt to the frame and rear leaf spring mount on the front leaf packs.
Very sturdy!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westin step bars bolt to the frame and rear leaf spring mount on the front leaf packs.
Very sturdy!
I like the sturdiness of the step bars you describe, but I always preferred the look of the full-length running boards, similar to the ones listed on this page: http://www.putcosales.com/Putco-Boss-Running-Boards-PRD7.aspx Besides, it seems to me like most of the step bars don't really have very much "step" area compared to the full-length boards.

Only problem is, every set of full-length running boards I've seen available for sale new (including the one pictured in the link, exacerbated by the fact that they only sell them for '99+ SuperDuties) only mounts to the cab, and I get the impression that they're there just for looks, or at best can hold a small person's weight. Does anyone know of any full-length running boards that mount to the frame? I know that they once existed; I actually have a set from a Centurion truck with frame-mounting brackets that would have been perfect, had other plans not changed :sly ...I really need something that's as sturdy as possible, ideally something that can reliably hold 350 to 400 lbs.

I'm trying to set things up so it'll be possible for my dad to get into my truck. As things stand, the truck's too high off the ground (actually, at this point, the truck's almost too high for me LOL )...if anyone has any ideas, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you in advance :angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger