Rough starts...air in lines?

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I bought the 87 6.9l a few weeks ago and it starts up really hard if u let it sit for a period of time (like 3days)...I have to crack sine injectors to get fuel flowing...I figure its the return lines are bad...just wondering if that's most likely the problem...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could think about an electric fuel pump, people seem to like them for the most part.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An electric lift pump to replace the mechanical lift pump is not a cure for air in the lines. But it sure helps with that. My suggestion is to replace the return lines and o rings under the plastic caps and install an electric lift pump. The electric lift pumps will prefill any fuel voids before you start cranking the engine but it wont fix a leak. The mechanical lift pump run off the cam have to have the engine cranking to make fuel flow where theres a leak. Sometimes there is a lot of extra cranking and that ruins the starters very fast plus it overworks the batteries and the alternater. Even if you don't install an electric lift pump just fix the fuel leaks. The engine will fire up on the first second of cranking every time.