Rough idle when truck restarts even when warm

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can I find a gauge to use for this? alsoI thought its supposed to be like 6psi

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lift pump is only 25 bucks at my local advcance auto, might be well worth to replace it since its 20 years old anyway, can anyone point me towards a "how to" on lift pump replacement this is one repair I don't want to screw up on and have it dump into my oil pan I coldnt find anything in tech

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I think you can hook one up to the schrader valve but am not sure. I have two hardlined into the cab. I highly recommend getting some aftermarket gauges since the factory gauges are about as worthless as **** on a bull. Autometer, Isspro, Stewart-warner are all good names. I got all mine at NAPA.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43070 heres something to get you going.

I think anywhere from 4-8psi youre fine

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks gator, I would definately like a good set of gauges but its not in the budget yet, I want to get the truck running somewhat decent and then will start spending the money on other things for it, I just don't have it yet.

also my local advanceauto has this lift pump its like 27 dollars http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...Airtex_5406595-P_52_R|GRPFUE2AMS_774971353___

I don't see how it installs, I'll have to try and peak at the truck tomorrow to see how it looks, I've been trying to find a writeup but still unsuccessful at that

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to add the truck smokes a greyish blue when its started cold for about 20 seconds then goes away, does anyone else have this happen? its not even that cold yet only in the 40's here

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem as this right now. I didn't think I could describe it so I didn't post up. You have done a fine job describing though haha. Mine is VERY periodic too

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its extremely aggravating because I just spend over $700 on servicing the fuel injection components with brand new parts and now this is how the truck repays me, honestly I don't think it could be the lift pump but the truck does seem like a dog sometimes while driving highway speeds but for 25 bucks might aswell try it, after the lift pump if it is still doing it I don't know what other options there are besides running it off the cliff lmao

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
swapping the lift pump should have been something you done with the other stuff, its not much more expensive,

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I'm deffinately going to do it today now, called napa and I'm going to buy their brand its 30 bucks, also could it be that an injector isnt properly seated I know on one of them I didnt put vaseline on the washer completely forgot but then just did it to the rest, also can someone tell me how the pump goes on I dont understand it

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have one of those facebooks so i cant see, but from what you say it makes me reasurred its just normal, i bought my lift pump today, its the 90 degree style not the long arm, didnt get a chance to try swapping it because of rain

gatorman21218

Reaction score
its basically a video of the truck running pouring out blue smoke right after startup. Like I said my fuel system is pretty old but she runs well.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I ran into a problem today, I was ready to install my lift pump, I removed the whole alternator bracket for better work room and the fuel line that goes from the pump to the filter is so rusted and correded the fitting wouldnt come out the lift pump and I ended up stripping it with the open end wrench, not sure what to do now, I kind of have the electric pump idea running through my head alot now, its just I like the idea of this lift pump being mechanical and never having to worry about electrical failure, can anyone tell me how hard it was to install your elec pump and the cost, plus I need to figure out how to get this stupid fuel line off lol