Right bank white smoke

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the problem isn't one back. I bet it's one cylinder in that bank. Loosen the injector nuts one by one, I bet one will make the white smoke go away.

If the PO went "drilling" things in the IP, you may be looking at an IP and injectors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Maybe not. Any water vapor blowing out the cylinder will probably turn to steam when it hits the manifold.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plot thickens. I have put a bunch of Howes and some atf in the fuel. Today I moved the IP towards the passenger fender(retard right?). Got rid of most the smoke, ran it for a while and then after winding it up it started running rough and started smoking again. Now after blipping the throttle it tries to die and Rpms jump all over. Return cap on no1 injector now slobbers fuel so that is probably the cause. I am going to change fuel filter and O rings. still a mystery why only one bank smokes.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.
Put a clear chunk of hose at the fuel tank, continues stream of air. Pulled pickup assembly, some kind of round flat valve(anti drain back maybe?)about 2/3 of the way down was allowing air in when tank was low. cut off and replaced with hose.
Ran pickup for 2 hours while bleeding every thing. Geting air some where, every connection runs fuel at all RPMs any suggestions?
unhooked return line at tankand ran into bottle, no air seen.
Any thing over low RPMs causes air intrussion like problems.
Throttle held at one place RPMs jump around (faster/rougher smokey), (slower/smoother no smoke) other times moving throttle short distance results in no RPM change.
Guess I'll put a known good IP on.
But all of this seems to indicate a fuel problem and not cavitation or compression causing the smoke.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
One little trick I use when faced with similar problems is to take one of those 6 gal boat fuel tanks and bypass the whole fuel system. strap the tank to the roof and run a feed line to the pump with an inline filter, cap off the return at the filter and run the main return back to the boat tank.

It will bleed off easily and you'll be able to isolate real quick if the problem is in the lines/tank/pickup etc.