Refurbish Battery cables

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I redid the grounds on mine not to long ago and it cost be 25 dollars includeing the copper connections. I used a bolt cutter to crimp the copper connectors onto the wire and put electrical tape over the ends(ran out of time to use heat shrink).

I need to do the positive cables soon, but my truck starts right when you hit the key so Im not worried about it.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Go to your commercial electric supplier and get some linerless splicing tape, some quality vinyl tape like 33, and friction tape to cap it off with. The splicing tape will stretch to about half its origional diameter and sticks to itself very well. Start with this tape first, then the 33, and the friction tape to finish it off. Lay the tape so that ther is a 1/2 overlap onto the previous layer. Your finished product will be much thicker than the origional insulation, but should fix it for about $25 or less.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If the insulation on the cables is split, you probably have a bunch of green corrosion happening.

I suggest making your own with #2/0 or #4/0 welding cable. I've done that on 2 or my rigs so far. ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
If the insulation on the cables is split, you probably have a bunch of green corrosion happening.

I suggest making your own with #2/0 or #4/0 welding cable. I've done that on 2 or my rigs so far. ;Sweet

I agree, bigrigtech did that and it looks way HD and bulletproof. I was just trying to offer low buck alternative to get out of a jam. Copper isn't cheap.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I just wanted a way to not have to junk these cables. I wil probably build my own. A few bucks here and there is not a problem. Oh...and the engine is already out so that is a bonus.

SWS

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if there is corrosion in the cables i'd just recycle them. then bite the bullet and get to the local welding store and get enough 0/2 to make new ones. and double wall shrink wrap, copper lug ends and good battery clamps. yea it costs you but they'll last a long time.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
No dont use welding cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The insulation is not oil resistant and when oil or diesel gets on it it will swell up and become soft. Go get yourself some actual battery cable

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No dont use welding cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The insulation is not oil resistant and when oil or diesel gets on it it will swell up and become soft. Go get yourself some actual battery cable

This battery-cable/welding-cable debate has been knocked around here since the beginning.

Myself, I very much prefer the welding-cable; others whom I totally respect will prefer the battery-cable.

Any decent welding-cable is going to be equally impervious to all the many hazards as the battery-cable.

When you get into these big sizes, welding-cable --- by virtue of it's numerous fine strands --- is going to be far more flexible and user-friendly; whereas, battery-cable is made up of a very few large strands, and therefore as stiff as the proverbial preacher's appendage.

Being of much finer strand, the welding-cable makes for a much better crimp that is far less likely to loosen with age/vibration.

Just my nickel's worth --- ; let the debate begin --- again. :angel:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Midnight you make a valid point and it may well be good enough for the job. However in my case I just went through a major short in my positive cable and I wasnt about to put something in that wasnt of the highest oil resistance since my engine has more grease on her than a 50s diner. And for the crimpability I got around that with a little solder and a propane torch. I aint saying it doesnt work and people dont use it, but rather some welding cable isnt oil resistant and may cause you problems down the road.

FWIW on our old boat one of the starter cables (3/0) sat in the bilge for 20 years and when I found it the jacketing was as soft and pliable as a latex glove.

So I guess either way you go its a good idea to open the hood once in a while and check for any chaffing or damage to the cable.