rebuilding a transfercase 1356

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
does anyone have any info on a rebuild of a 1356. its becoming harder to get into gear and making noises when it is in gear so i want to rebuild it before winter gets to bad and there snow all over

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering about this myself, From what I hear these are really simple to rebuild. Just a chain, bearings, and shift fork.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing to it, get a book on the Ford diesel pickup from Haynes and there is a section covering the T-case

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt mine. Really about the only thing that tend to fail on them is the shift forks. Mine would not stay in 4 low, pulled it apart and it was perfect. I couldn't figure out what was the deal. Turns out 90% of the time its the shifter mechanism. I put a new shifter on it from another truck and it works perfect. Like stated above just grab a manual and get you an ebay 1356 rebuild kit. They are cheap and it worked out good for me. Even though there was nothing wrong at least now I know the oil pump in there is new and the shifting forks. I saved some of the gears and other items that came with the kit. The ones that were in the T-case were fine so I didn't swap them.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another thread form a few months back, with some great pics of one of the reasons when it won't engage 4x4.
For me it was a combination of the teflon pads on the shift fork wearing out, and the splines on the shift collar got badly rounded so it would just ratchet out of 4x4 as it turned.

I tossed in a fork and collar from a low mileage F-150 with the same t-case, it's worked great since. Easy job, you don't even have to drop the t-case.

However, if I understand, it sounds like the shifter is physically hard to move into 4x4?

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where ya located? I got 2 1 fixed yoke and 1 slip..both 88K on them..$50?? Im in eastern ohio (find columbus...look 45min EAST on 70!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online