Reason to pump your own fuel, OR residents.

Idi93

Ford parts guy
Reaction score
****, IDIs are probably the only trucks you could run on DEF, these things run on anything :D

DEF will crystallize when mixed with diesel. That is one of the main reasons the repair is really expensive on vehicles that have been mixed. Also, FYI, it is just under $12,000 to have a 6.7L Ford fixed when you do that. That consists of all new inector lines, injectors, high pressure pump, IPR, low pressure pump, pretty much everything except the fuel tank and the main fuel feed and return lines. And it all has to be done to maintain any engine warranty.

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Well, the thinking is that when a person exits the vehicle and slides across the seat, they can build a static charge on themselves. Then, when they touch the nozzle they discharge the static charge and cause a small spark; and that small spark can ignite gasoline fumes. There isn't as much concern when people begin pumping fuel because they touch the fuel door and discharge the static electricity; the biggest concern is some people will get back into their vehicles while they are filling up. When they get back out of the vehicle to remove the nozzle, the nozzle is the first thing they will touch. They then discharge the static charge, cause a small spark, and ignite the fumes coming from the gas tank.

Atleast, that is the general gist of it. The gas attendant does not build up a static charge as they stand around all day. So, all they do is take your card/money, start the pump, if they are bored they will wash your windows, remove the pump when the tank is full....that is it. Nothing more...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one here who smells the nozzle before filling up? I want to make sure its diesel.
I do that every time...I've earned quite a few weird looks at various fuel stations over the years, but I don't want to take the chance.

I've never tried to pump gasoline into a diesel fuel tank. However, I have caught myself grabbing the diesel pump to refuel one of the Town Cars at work...fortunately, I stopped myself before things got out of hand LOL

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can understand the same station, but the same hose/nozzle?!? That seems weird... cookoo

Actually, is it even possible? My company just got a 2013 F-550 that has a DEF tank, and the fill neck looks to be too small to accept a diesel nozzle. I figured they did that deliberately to keep people from pumping diesel into the DEF tank... :dunno
It's usually def in the fuel tank not the other way around.

It probably drives the cost of fuel up about $.10 a gallon, but it really isnt enough to make a huge difference.
Even with pump slingers providing the service, fuels here are still generally cheaper then Cali. That place was fugged up, like un-born child birth defect tax..... All the taxes there was listed on the pumps on the Marine base...

Am I the only one here who smells the nozzle before filling up? I want to make sure its diesel.
No offense but that'd make me wonder *** if I saw some one do that here. Lots of tweekers/druggy dead heads.

Sounds like you stopped by my hometown...

Yah there's some nice areas or area like by the golf course. The rest I try to stay away from. Kinda like the NE side here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online