Rear duals touching ever so slightly

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
over time,the wheels would shift and then the lug nut holes started to ream out.once those started,the center hole would hit the hub and started to ream away at those.it was a mess.
i fried that fish good.i swapped in a whole true drw axle with 6 new rims.
someone has good drw adapters inj the marketplace right now (still/last i checked.front and rear) probably arrowcraft.those are ones with a lip in the center to keep everything lined up.without that for the rims,my experience says don't do it.if you don't haul super heavy all the time like i do,it probably will take a long time for the issue to show up.when your driving upwards of 100-150 miles a day and hauling upwards of 2-2.5 ton.it doesn't take so long.
i learned the hard way.i'll never run non hub centric ever again.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dually rims that came on my parts truck I think have 235's on them. I have no idea what the back spacing is but I also don't know if the tires rubbed each other.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is where you need to look.if you took this truck as shown here with 235's and put a load on the truck,the sidewalls would bulge a bit more.once the sidewalls of duals touch,heat is created.when enough heat is created a tire blows.when an outside dually tire blows out it's sidewall from heat,it can take out the dually fiberglass fender like it's paper.

there are other cons to running dual 235's on an f350 pickup besides potential blow outs.
your adding rolling resistance by increasing more tire width than needed.
the wider you go,the less traction you'll have.already a huge reduction with dual 215's as compared to srw 235's.
performance drops.not only does the taller tire increase gear ratio but adding tire weight is a massive hit in performance.some claim every 10 lbs in the tire is like adding 100 lbs to the vehicle.
now the user here in this pic,has a truck with a potential blow out.he's getting worse fuel economy than he did with the dual 215's and even worst traction and lost a big chunk of performance.to top it off he had to pay more for his 6 tires.as if that wasn't bad enough compared to buying just 4 lol.
about the only thing he gained was (to him anyway) was an increase in appearance.
truck use and practically went down.

now on an f-super duty/f-450 well ya kinda need dual 235's.not only would it look silly with smaller tires than those,but the truck needs their combined weight rating the larger tires provide.

Attachments

• a_1.jpg
    a_1.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with them for a couple reasons.

The weight rating was about 250 pounds more per tire. Probably not anything to worry about with the duals, but I did take that into consideration for the font tires.

Secondly, this tuck is already screaming with 4.10s in the rear end, I didn't want to lose the tire height because of the gearing.

It also already had 235s on it before that didn't have this problem. I suppose this particular brand of tire might flex a little more.