rear disks--possible inexpensive option

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Always take pictures. A tech article can always be reverse engineered when you have em, even if you don't want to write it.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bolt on by any means, but simple enough to get your rotors in place, mount the caliper to the bracket and weld 'er in place where it sets right. I was looking at the weld-on brackets for the 3.5 diameter axle tube.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
hillbilly tech can supply you with a parking brake EZ they work good never need adjusting the kit comes with 2 4x4's and a rope LOL and you can even upgrade to the ultimate kit which includes a mexican to ride under the hood and throw them out for ya LOL

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Ft Wayne - I knew we had a few nuts out this way. I jsut drove through there today. I'm in Kendallville now.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself, I rarely use my e-brake. My rear brakes are so out of adustment (and quickly fall out of adjustment in 2 weeks), that I haven't had a working e-brake in a while. I don't miss it much.

But a roadside inspection would call upon one without a doubt. I read an article about using an ABS valve to manually isolate your brakes--just like a brake line-lock on dragsters.

It wouldn't do much in a real emergency, and would require a small amount of power to keep the brakes locked, but I'm hoping it would satisfy the inspectors if you had to demonstrate a working "e-brake".

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes!

I don't like that e-brake setup though--the calipers they use are waaaaay more expensive then run of the mill Chev pickup calipers. I'd sacrifice a good e-brake just to have a disc setup that costs less than a stocker drum setup.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I don't know why you couldn't use the calipers and discs off a newer chevy. Mine has the same wheel pattern that the ford did and rear discs.