Rear disc brakes & parking brake

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
We got the carrier bearing replaced on the friend's 99 SD. Unfortunately, that wasn't the problem noise she heard :mad: Her hubby diagnosed the noise as the bearing, and while it wasn't in the best of shape, it was an awful lot of unnecessary work :backoff

I test drove it after I got it all put back together & heard the same noise. :dunno

Jacked up the rear, pulled the driver's side tires off, turned the pass side by hand and could hear a bit of a squeak there on the driver's side wheel. This thing has rear disc brakes. This is the truck where she drove for a while (unknown how far) with the e-brake on. I don't see how/what the e brake does. Does anybody have a parts blowup picture of the rears or can somebody explain how the e brake works on rear discs? I looked at AutoZone and they don't have any diagrams but they do show a "parking brake shoe". So each disc has its own shoe along with the set of pads?

The brake doesn't hold at all in forward. Reverse holds but drive must have much more torque as it doesn't even slow it down. Her hubby thought that rear disc brakes adjust the same as drums (reverse, slam on the brakes trick). I don't know as I've never owned anything with rear discs and it didn't seem to make any difference in holding power...

They have a Haynes/Chilton style manual for it that claims it's for 99-02 SDs but they show rear drums in it so there's no help in the manual for how to work on the e brake portion of the rears.

Thanks for any help/advice/pics!

Mike
( for this project: 99 F350 CC DRW 4x2 )

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
i haven't taken mine apart yet, so no specific tips.
the park brake shoes are inside the "bell" (for lack of a better word) of the disc. they look like a miniature set of brake shoes. you'll need to pull the disc off the hub, not sure if you need to pull bearings and the hub or if it just slides/taps off

since i got a 99 f350 cc drw 4x4, post some pics for me when you do it? i'll probably be doing mine during an upcoming r&r, i'm about due for brakes on mine

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Colotow,
I found this while digging around other sites for info:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/..._Duty_Slotted_Disk_Brake_Upgrade__Part_I.html

Part 2 of that write up has the rears. They don't go into the parking brake portion of it but after seeing/reading that I can see the shoes back there after he pulled the rotor off.

I found one place that said pull the little rubber triangle plug out & that there are star adjusters back there just like drums. I'm going to try to adjust them first.

I'll make sure we have a camera handy when we do it and will post the info. It won't be nearly as complete or fancy as what I just pasted above though :dunno

Mike

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
The Park Brake on the disc brakes is just like a drum brake. The inner part of the disk is actually the drum for the e-brake. Unfortunately you have to pull the axles back out, and then pull the disk off, and if the shoes are bad, it's a best bet to just replace the disk too. Especially since it was driven with the brake set. I work with a fleet of about 40, 96-07 F-450's and I have seen the brake tighten up when driven with it set. Which in the end will cause the shoes to wear out.

Basically put, they are just like your old style drum brakes. Only these are a bit more of a PITA to check, so they get skipped alot of times when doing brake checks. So, spend a couple hours and pull the disc off like you were replacing a wheel bearing and you will get a good look real quick at how they did it.