Radiator?

tenlug

Reaction score
Going to hang a 94 front clip on my 85. The 94 is a gas motor.Looks like I can swap the hoop under the radaitor from the 85 to the 94 support. Now for the question. Has anyone swapped from the brass radiator to a powerstroke (95-96)alumimun radiator? They are about the same size. Seems like the later one would be more efficient? Steve

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Steve,
the trick will be getting the PSD radiator to work on the gasser front clip. On the IDI's the core support is different between the gasser and the diesel rads.
Something to think about tho.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a quick look at the way the gasser radiator sets level across the top of the frame rails. the diesel goes quite a bit farther down in the rails, i just made a swap with a 460 outta a 94 and put in a 7.3 outta my 89 diesel radiator would not fit, bummer

tenlug

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I can see the problem at the bottom of the gas core support with the taller diesel radaitor. That is why I plan to swap the lower hoop from the diesel core support to the gas support. I am going to have to buy a new radaitor, so I am thinking about getting the aluminum one because it might cool better? The radiators are real close to the same size and the inlet and outlet are in the same locations. Has anyone done this? Steve

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal thought is that radiators should not have plastic on them, diesels shouldnt have electronics on them either but hey it seems to work. lol. Anyway the aluminum cools about the same with a thinner core than the copper rad, done lots of race testing, i personally am putting a copper in my truck because you could fix it roadside, plastic is very hard to solder. just my 2c
Happy New year all

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the PSD radiator seems to be much better about keeping things cool but keep in mind if you get the PSD radiator you will need the degas bottle and plumb it differently too

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aric is right. I went through the same thing when I did my front clip swap. I used a '95 PSD clip though. The problem with the PSD rad is the plumbing. The inflow and outflow on the tanks are on the opposite side of the rad when compaired to the IDI rad. cookoo You would have to get custom hoses and they may interfere with the belts and other crap on the front of the truck. I just stayed with the IDI rad. It just drops right into the PSD/92-94 IDI front clip rad support.

Heath

tenlug

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't know the inlet and out let flipped sides. Steve

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tenlug said:
Thanks for the replies. I can see the problem at the bottom of the gas core support with the taller diesel radaitor. That is why I plan to swap the lower hoop from the diesel core support to the gas support. I am going to have to buy a new radaitor, so I am thinking about getting the aluminum one because it might cool better? The radiators are real close to the same size and the inlet and outlet are in the same locations. Has anyone done this? Steve
steve-
As far as putting in a PSD rad, haven't tried that idea yet due to the '99 and up
hose inlet/outlet issues. but as far as the grafting of the lower support shell, I have plenty of "frontline" experience with the stock unmodified units developing stress cracks. If you do a graft, make sure you put in a sleeve that goes 3-6inches radiating from both directions of the splice. Also, as part of your PM's inspect the work area for stress cracks and fatigue in the metal. due to the location of the rad support and the weight it has thrown on it, torsional stress is a big killer on this part.

tenlug

Reaction score
towcat thanks for the heads up on the on the core support cracks. When I swap the hoop I'll add angle just to make sure. Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US