Radiator Leak: Q's on "Stop Leak" & SCA/DCA compatibility

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, lady luck is not on my side. Just got it back from having a new water pump, fan clutch & upper/lower rad hoses installed a week ago on my 1990 E-350 van.

Now, when I got home yesterday, I find a puddle under the radiator when I walked by. Further looking shows a leak in the cooling fin area in possibly two locations. Drove it again to test, but nothing. Then this morning at work while sitting, it leaked.

I'm tempted to try some of those stop leak additives. But I'm wondering how it, if any, will react w/ the SCA/DCA additive in the cooling system. This leak is so far "random". Some times it leaves a puddle, sometimes not. But when it does leave a puddle, it's large. (Rad was full still this morning, pulled the cap off).

I'm guessing the rad is original and this is a 1990 E350..... It has the rear heat too. Part of me thinks I should just pony up and get a new radiator....

Comments, suggestions, stories.....

Thanks.

eta: I'm using the Wix brand coolant additive.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
it will work just fine. I have used it before with DCA/SCA without a problem. If you are running a coolant filter it might remove it before it get a chance to work but doubt it.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RUN away from stop leak and other similar products. they are basically just mica (think flat sand gains) in suspension. would you knowing add sand to your oil, transmission fluid, power steering or any other fluid? of course not.

if it leaks fix the leak. you can always take the rad to a real shop and they can usually re seal them the right way.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
About the only sealer that really works for any kind of long-er term fix is the K&W block seal and that requires you removing all traces of coolant from the system before running it through , then it has to be drained and dried. The rest of those things will temporarily plug a leak...till they start leaking again.