RABS Hydraulic Control Valve

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like my RABS Hydraulic Control Valve started leaking (located after the master cylinder on the driver side frame rail held on by three bolts).

Can you rebuild these?

Should I just by pass it and forget about the RABS (rear anti-lock brake system)?

Where can you buy these and how much are they?

1987 was the first year for this system.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Autozone has them for somewhere around $180 after core charge. I think they run about $220 with core charge.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone rebuilding them. I don't think a rebuild kit has ever been made either. Yes you can byppass the valve but know this. After an accident if the investigation shows that the brake system was "altered" you may have more than just liability facing you in the great state of California......:D
P.S. This is the only state that sucks and blows at the same time. Although Penn has their PENDOT and I hear thats really a bag of monkeys to deal with.....

Last edited:

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually looking into getting one of these, because I had a problem with the RABS light being on all the time and then I replaced the sensor in the rear end and it went out, but I had to make a quick stop on the way to town earlier and the stinking light came back on, so maybe I need to look into getting once of these actuators again too. I have a sparte from a parts truck somewhere, maybe I will take it apart, clean it up and see what goes bad and maybe it will be easy to fix.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91f2504x4 - Check your brake fluid level, it might be low. The light will come when it's low.

Napa has that valve, mine is leaking too. I was quoted $169 but they give me a military discount (sometimes more).

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brake fluid is good but I remember that the stinking light starting coming on after I popped a brake line a while back. I put a new line on, bled everything and topped off the fluids and after that was the first time the light came on in the 10+ years that I have owned the truck.