Quick Timing Question

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been doing a ton of reading on timing lately. One question that I have- can I use a wrench and turn buckle on the pump boss to move the pump while the engine is OFF? I want to make sure it is safe to do without risk of damaging anything. I have read that trying to adjust it this way while the engine is running is a definite no-no so I will only be making adjustments with the engine off.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only move the pump when the engine is off. Also, secure the pump prior to starting he engine. Usually I just tighten the top bolt to secure it before starting it up to check the timing. They do make a IP pump wrench as appose to the box wrench.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right. I've seen some special wrenches that look like they attach to the injector pump gear. Just seemed like using the boss on the front of the pump with a turn buckle seemed the best way to go with the engine off. Just wanted to make sure there are no ill effects adjusting this way.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just clock it with a wrench and or by the boss the turnbuckle is probably not needed.
Once the 3 bolts are loose it is like a distributor( a bit heavier) some fun will arise getting at the 3 bolts.
Make yourself an ip wrench or 2 once you see whats needed, icanfixall has posted pics of one.
Good luck and have fun.
Cb

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Making a wrench for the NUTS.. Not bolts is not difficult. But having and original wrench sure helps to show the bends and thickness areas. I do have several posts showing this as does Gandalf. As for using a wrench and turn buckle I see no issues doing that. But please do this first before you loosen any nuts. Make a center punch mark in the joint between the pump and the housing. then you can see very nicely that pump has moved because you now have 2 half circle marks.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making a wrench for the NUTS.. Not bolts is not difficult. But having and original wrench sure helps to show the bends and thickness areas. I do have several posts showing this as does Gandalf. As for using a wrench and turn buckle I see no issues doing that. But please do this first before you loosen any nuts. Make a center punch mark in the joint between the pump and the housing. then you can see very nicely that pump has moved because you now have 2 half circle marks.

I noticed in another thread where you mentioned doing that. Seems like a good idea so I was planning to do it. Thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online