quick timing question

tractorman86

Reaction score
truck runs mediocre, lots of smoke(all black) and not a whole lot of power. before i messed with the timing it did alright but was consuming some fuel and didn't hardly smoke at all. of course when i got to playing with it the lumy probe got cracked :rolleyes: so i am SOL on correctly timing it, any sudjestions.:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds kind of like you are running retarded, but short of dropping big $$$ with Snappy for a replacement lumy probe, it's anyone's guess how much :dunno you might get lucky on ebay.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to steal, but if im getting some white smoke at idle, is this telling me anything? i know im not burning coolant, so im kinda at a loss. No one near me that i know of has a timing meter for one of these beast. The local ford trucks dealer said they could do it for 100 bucks, but the old mech first said no they cant, then a young guy said they could so IDK kinda scared me. dunno if they would be doing anything different than i am.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've heard of a lot of dealers just setting them by ear. so you got a 50/50 chance, just be cautious.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
sorry to steal, but if im getting some white smoke at idle, is this telling me anything? i know im not burning coolant, so im kinda at a loss. No one near me that i know of has a timing meter for one of these beast. The local ford trucks dealer said they could do it for 100 bucks, but the old mech first said no they cant, then a young guy said they could so IDK kinda scared me. dunno if they would be doing anything different than i am.

arnt your running wmo
because if you are then that what mine does at idle anyways