Questions about clutch and flywheel

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new here and have been reading through as much as possible about the 7.3L IDI and have gotten a lot of great info so far. Got the coolant additive, changed the glowplugs to Beru's. Now I think it needs a new clutch and I want to go with the Luk clutch and solid flywheel. Don't have the time to install myself so I'd like to know if anyone knows a good place in Birmingham, Alabama where I can get it installed. At AAMCO they won't warranty anything ordered off the internet and I can't seem to find a local authorized installer. Also, I looked at my flywheel and it looks like the is a section of teeth, maybe 15 or so in a row that are worn down a lot. Is this some king of alignment problem between the tranny and the engine? Thanks for any input and I'm glad to be here!

Paul B

Last edited:

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I solved one of my questions. I think the flywheel wear is due to the starter wearing on it somehow. I found some other vehicles that had a similar problem.

Paul B

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont know about a local installer but i have only heard bad things about AAMCO. i would not personally trust anything from there. not sure about the alignment but a worn starter gear can cause trouble with the flywheel. it can also be trouble if the bolts back out on the starter and let it wobble.

the luke set should replace all of that though. a little spendy but people seem to like them. the only down side i can see is that you have to use a luke clutch with the luke flywheel then. no mixing with ford parts.

if you just want to get rid of the DMF cheeperjeeper has compiled a list of stock pieces to replace it. would cost about half or less than the luke IIRC, thats what i plan on doing if my clutch gets worse.

BTW welcome to the site

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Jred. I found a place that will do the install of the LuK flywheel and clutch kit for $350, it's the best I've found so far. Does this sound about right?

Paul B

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Jred. I found a place that will do the install of the LuK flywheel and clutch kit for $350, it's the best I've found so far. Does this sound about right?

Paul B

IMHO $350 is a good price for the labor to R&R a clutch as it's roughly a 7 - 10 hr job.......2 weeks if my crippled butt is working on itLOL

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Paul B

That sounds like a decent price for the labor to install - about $70 an hour for 5 hours labor. With no turbo on the truck and all the tools a shop would have, I could probably do it in 5 hours.

Then add $500 for the LUK kit (or $200 worth of parts from AutoZone) and you're all set....

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought the LuK kit, but after checking through some other threads it looks like I should go ahead and get the throw-out bearing and the Kevlar clutch bushing as well. I don't know if the kit comes with these or not. I checked the local auto parts stores and they have the bushing but it doesn't say of what material the bushing is made. The kit was $575 shipped.

Paul B

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
I had Luk flywheel installed at 78 Alignment (205) 483-9204 ask for Jeff.
They have done work for me for 25 years. Never one complaint. Price was around $350.00

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cool sounds like you are set, sounds like a good price to me. you shouldent have to worry about it again for a while then when it done.;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The bearings did not come on the kit when I bought it years ago (at least not the throw out bearing)but You can order it from the guys a dial-a-clutch too, they have misc parts for sale as well.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Kevlar pilot bushing very nice ;Sweet worth the extra few bucks. Usually a complete clutch kit comes with the throwout bearing.

----Robert

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Clutch and flywheel in now. He also replaced the rear main seal and the rear u-joint. All total $498 (including the u-joint and the seal parts). Drives way better.

Paul B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online