Question on Timing

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I knew about the pedal thing. I wasn't sure it was working at all, so I went under the hood and hit it with 12V direct with a jumper. I would expect the plunger to at least extend until it touched the 'throttle' arm, but couldn't get the plunger to move at all. I'll try the same with the timing advance and listen for a click I suppose. It looks like it's inside the pump?

And will do on the glow plugs.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing advance might not click, but if the truck is running and you power the cold advance manually, you should hear a noticable difference in how the engine sounds if it's working.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It clicks when I touch it with the test light and Key on/engine off, but I didn’t hear any difference in engine sound when I did the same while idling.

Also I’m pretty sure the connectors for the glow plugs turned to dust just from casting my gaze across them, or at least the insulation did. Pretty crusty. Ill have to see if anyone local has them otherwise I’ll be waiting on the mail.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could always tell when mine was active, but to my ear it is subtle and on a warm engine or even "warmish" it was harder to detect. You may not have your ear trained for it yet.
Glow plug harness is a cinch to replicate. I have my old one handy if you need some pics.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bilbo i recommend getting Ford Motorcraft ZD-9 glowplugs. they are the best ones you can get for your truck. Classic Diesel Designs sells Glow Plug harnesses if you need a new one

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Nothing wrong with DIY either. That's kind of why I like old vehicles, old equipment, etc. I can't sit still and watch TV and it gives me something to do. You know what they say about idle hands and all. We'll see how I make out. I'll look into the CDD ones further too. Good to have those options. I've got a full set of Motorcraft plugs.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but my idle hands usually seem to find a way to spend money.:(

Haha I know what you mean!

I got all the glow plugs in, pretty uneventful. A few different brands but they all looked healthy. I’ve been checking on other things too, fairly certain I need to replace valve cover gaskets. Also those fuel return lines have a braided cover that looks oil soaked. I imagine those need replacement. I definitely ‘booped’ them a couple times doing the glow plugs.

Last I have this shudder when letting in the clutch. I read it could be dmf or oil leak related. I think it’s the dmf. In neutral, it looks to have just shy of 3/4” of movement so I’m guessing I’ll be doing the smf kit. I tried to take a photo but needed a third hand; you can kind of see the marks. Any brands to be avoided for gaskets or clutches?

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online