Purchasing a spare 6.9?

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently came across a 6.9 in someones garage that had been torn down and re-honed from sitting after HG leak. All of the engine is there, but in pieces. The heads have been checked and gone through and they look perfect. The crank and block look really good as well. What should I offer for it?
Id love to take it home and build it they way I want to from the ground up!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid $300 for a 7.3 all tore down but with all the components, still tore down after 4 years. :rotflmao

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would go the ole "eah, its just a torn down 6.9, ill give ya 50 bucks for it" route :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best to know what year the block and heads are. We had some not so friendly blocks and heads in the early 6.9 engines.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe its from an 85'. I imagine he has a little coin wrapped up in shop time on some stuff. But he no longer has the truck, so im sure he'll sell it all.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the piston cooling nozzles bolt in or press in? I would be less inclined to want a block with press in oilers, but if they are in place and not ready to fall out it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything on the block that I should be looking for that could identify the year, and are there years I should avoid? I told him id get back to him on the motor. I did however manage to score these.

Attachments

• 2015-01-22 16.50.47.jpg
    2015-01-22 16.50.47.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 64

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The engine serial number.
That's about all I can say. Someone else will have the number range to look for and avoid.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the list. The serial number is on the top of the block in front drivers side. Nice score on the manuals.

Attachments

• Image (7).jpg
    Image (7).jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after a few days the guy called me up and said it was in his way and I could have everything he had for it for 350$..... SOLD!
Its a complete motor just in pieces. Has some coolant crust under the freshly rebuilt heads on two cylinders. Looks like he had the motor rebuilt then blew a HG and just gave up on it. Parted the truck out but didnt want to give up the motor til now. Serial numbers are u399513 stamped inline. I think its an 85?