Project "Deezle" 1989 F-250

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Awesome.
That hot shots secret is some strong stuff.
It'll burn your nose hairs off. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
How-To: Window Motor Repair and Switch Replacement

Couldn't find a good write-up on this on any forum so figured I'd give it a go.

The window motors on these trucks have a tendency to break these plastic roller pieces inside the gear housing, which then jams the motor and stops it from working. This is how to fix the motor without having to buy a whole new motor/regulator assembly for as-near-as-makes-no-difference a shitload of money.

Order Dorman part 747-412 from Rockauto for about $10. Both of my window motors were broken, but my driver's side window switch was also broken, so if that's the case for you also order Dorman 901-302 from RA, also for about $10.

You must be registered for see images attach

When those arrive, pop the door panel off, pretty self ex procedure.

Remove the plastic and get out your drill. You will see the motor behind the inner door skin, with one fastener accessible via a combo wrench. The other two are located behind the door skin, but don't **** your pants. Ford dimpled the door skin exactly where you need to drill, making it a walk in the park. Drill progressively larger holes, up to 1/2" which will fit an 8mm or 5/16" deep socket to remove the remaining 2 fasteners. Use caution, once the motor is removed the window can fall freely in its tracks, so I safety wired the regulator arm to the door skin and it stayed put. The picture shows the holes drilled. The combo wrench accessible bolt is accessed through that hole that you can see the wires in.

Unplug the motor and bring it to the bench. There is only one small phillips screw that you can remove, so remove it. The cover will come off and you'll probably find a mess of grease and broken plastic behind it, like so:

Pull all of that **** out, wipe it down, doesn't have to be spotless, and then lay out the parts from the repair kit. Install is reverse of removal (no ****). You'll see in one pic that I put the screw back into its hole while I was working. I didn't want to lose it as it's the only piece that doesn't come in the kit and gets reused. The following pics show the install procedure/order:

A couple notes on the cylindrical plastic pieces that broke: They are actually intended to break as a fuse or safety device. For instance if you happened to roll the window up on someones arm...

That being said, over the years I have replaced the "fuses" with 6 5/16 nuts one time, another 3 pieces of steel rod cut to length, and getting a bit more creative, 3 pieces of synflex nylon air brake tubing. These days I keep a couple of the kits around just in case, but I have virtually never found the gear or hub broken, most always just the 3 little cylinders.

Most of the time the root cause (besides general age) is lack of lube and stiff operation of the door mechanisms.

I like to do an "overhaul" on the regulator and latches on anything I'm keeping a while. Pull the regulator and door latch and outer handle out of the door. Clean all the dried up white grease and gum out of everything with solvent, carb cleaner and a stiff brush. Blow it all out and use ONLY spray clear gel grease (NOT white lithium) or a good quality motorcycle chain lube (like Motul not that black tar industrial stuff) Nothing else gets into the actual moving parts like penetrating oil but then becomes light weight non gumming grease. If you do every moving part you will be completely blown away how easily the door works, latching, closing, locking, opening, rolling up the window.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online